Hiatal hernia and revision

amyx7620
on 3/24/19 7:38 am - Old Saybrook, CT
VSG on 08/25/10 with

No date yet! Hoping for early summer since I'll be out of work. Good luck!

amyx7620
on 3/24/19 7:36 am - Old Saybrook, CT
VSG on 08/25/10 with

Thank you for your reply! How much weight have you regained, just out of curiosity? Are you concerned with long term complications with RNY?

Beckyonthebeach
on 3/24/19 3:24 pm - Vero Beach, FL

I've gained about 30 pounds back. It doesn't sound like a huge amount. But to my body it's huge. I'm back in the obese range. I hate that word! My diabetes has gotten bad again and am back to several shots of insulin a day.

I'm so mad at myself for slipping back like this. My Dr says that in my case the rny is going to get rid of the diabetes forever.

As far as can motivations go, I already have the heartburn and gerd. I'll cross any other bridge as I come to it. What long term problems are you anticipating?

Becky
amyx7620
on 3/24/19 3:38 pm - Old Saybrook, CT
VSG on 08/25/10 with

I've regained 20 myself and to my eyes, it looks like so much more! I'm already anemic and getting infusions but right now I really just take my multivitamin and reflux meds. I'm scared I'm going to become deficient in other things because of the malabsorption factor. And it would just be my luck to dump. Lol But it sounds like with the diabetes, RNY would definitely benefit you. Thanks for getting back to me!

Beckyonthebeach
on 3/24/19 4:02 pm - Vero Beach, FL

I had 2 iron infusions about 6 months ago. I was anemic before the sleeve. But it went down to a 5. The infusions went well and so far so good. Back to normal and holding. I'm worried about the dumping too but I guess that's a good deterrent for not eating junk.

Becky
cayita63
on 8/19/19 5:33 pm - Ft Lauderdale, FL

You will be fine..That happened to me.. then Hypoglycemic..

Just follow what your dr tells you.I am 15 years out.

jmk187
on 3/25/19 11:15 am, edited 3/25/19 7:05 am
VSG on 02/13/19

Hi everyone just wondering if everyone who has the VSG that has experienced Acid reflux are coffee drinkers...I am sleeved as well and was a big coffee drinker before surgery but I am afraid to touch it now for fear it will give me acid reflux and ruin my sleeve. I am almost 6 weeks post op and have not experienced any acid reflux yet. Thanks.

*Edited* for misspelled word

HW-430

SW-372

Day of Surgery-347

CW-246

Laura in Texas
on 3/28/19 6:47 am

Perhaps you should get a second opinion from another bariatric surgeon.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

redheadjean
on 4/1/19 12:28 pm - Canton, MI

I had RNY in 2010 and have not had any heartburn since then. Since you don't have a valve at the bottom of your stomach, acid should not be able to go up to your esophagus. I have recently been diagnosed with a sliding hiatal hernia and did not even know I had it.

Jean  
BariatricExPat
on 5/7/19 1:35 am
Revision on 07/09/18

Hello, I just joined this organization, but maybe something I can share will help you as you go through this turn of events in your weight loss journey. I had a sleeve in December of 2008 and did really well for nine years. I lost 135 lbs which was really close to my goal of -150 and kept the weight off. But in January of 2018 I had some episodes of choking and vomiting that I thought were due to eating food too fast. I was living in a country not very familiar with sleeve patients and although I told the doctor about my altered anatomy, he diagnosed me with a hiatal hernia and treated that condition with Prilosec. After six weeks, the vomiting and choking was increasing in frequency and I was pretty much on liquids but even those sometimes would not go down. He increased the Prilosec and told me I might be eating too much, too fast, too fatty, or too spicy. After the third visit, he recommended surgical correction of the hernia, but my instincts told me not to let someone unfamiliar with bariatric patients operate on me. I kept going, knowing I needed to see my surgeon back in the US but also not being able to go bac****il June of 2018. By the time I arrived in the States, I was vomiting 5-10 times a day and really miserable. The surgeon in the US was very upset and said, "You're not going to like what you're about to hear." He proceeded to tell me that a particular suturing technique that had been used on my sleeve (back when sleeves were rather new) was creating a scar that had rolled inward and was physically blocking the path. The only correction that would last (in his expert opinion) was revision. He wrote an urgent letter my insurance company stating that this was an emergency revision and medically necessary. I had the revision done on July 9, 2018. I flew out of the States to a brand new country on July 29, scared to death! I have not vomited since July 9 which is a sweet relief! I have lost a lot of my strength during the sickness prior to and the recovery after. I have also lost 30 more pounds. I joined this organization though because I have struggled with a lot of feelings of loss after the revision, because my sleeve and I were a very happy couple. My gastric bypass is a lot more strict in that there is NO WAY I can even have one sip of carbonation at all without dire effects. My lifestyle with the sleeve was so easy that I never told anyone outside of my immediate family I had it! For over 9 years, I was "passing" as a normal person. But this revision: there is so much more to passing that it became impossible and I had to confess to some new friends why I am not interested in the brunch buffets, mimosas, and happy hours that normally I could enjoy to a small extent. Now there is nothing there I can enjoy. It is better than vomiting for sure, but I still need this support group to make a new path for myself. So it's been a couple of months since your original post. How are feeling now and what is the plan for the future?

Most Active