Less Or Slower Weight Loss After Band To Sleeve Revision

Mindy325
on 10/14/18 10:51 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

It's tough but doable. Immediately after the surgery you won't really want anything for a while. I'm scared of when my sleeve relaxes and allows more food. I'm also scared that I'll start producing more of the hunger hormone ghrelin. I had thought maybe the part about less and slower weight loss after revision wouldn't apply to me since I hardly got the chance to use the lap band properly. I went without any restriction at all for many years, because I grew tired of going for painful fills only to aspirate at night. I would then have to go right back the next day to have it all removed. Lather, rinse, repeat. I gained back what little I lost many times over. But even with that history, I'm still having very slow weight loss. I'll spend a week or more at one number and sometimes the scale even goes up. I should have had the sleeve first, but I didn't want my stomach cut and I believed the hype about the lap band. I'll try to stick with this because I guess going to bypass would have the same maddenly slow progress.

Italiangal
on 10/15/18 9:00 am
Revision on 10/08/18

I understand completely about the band. I did the band because I was afraid of the more invasive surgeries and I liked the fact that the band was reversible, but looking back now I am sorry that I didn't have the sleeve in the first place and at the time banding was performed more than the sleeve. I feel like I wasted 6 years being miserable with food getting stuck. It was awful and embarrassing when I ate out with friends. Still I am worried about the drastic food restriction after GS. Do people ask you why you are not eating or why you are eating so little? Anyway, even if the weight loss is slow, my weight has got to be better after sleeve than now and it's never too late to look and feel better.

Mindy325
on 10/15/18 11:32 am
VSG on 06/26/18

6 years isn't bad. I had my band in 2005, so 13 years down the drain. I thought there was something wrong with me. I haven't been out to eat with anyone since I had the sleeve, but I can tell already that it won't be like getting food stuck in the band. That was terrible. I would have to rush to the restroom because it was coming up no matter what. I'm stepping up on my soapbox now: I was self-pay for the sleeve because I have lousy insurance that doesn't cover anything Bariatric. I think any band patient who had to revise no matter how many years later should be given a heavily discounted if not free sleeve. We were sold a bill of goods. Should be a class action. I guess the band does work for some, but it seems to have a high failure rate. I'm quite irritated. Oh well, I'm off my soapbox now. Slow weight loss is better than no weight loss. And remember to take body measurements. I was too lazy and didn't do that and was too embarrassed to have someone else do it. But do it because remember that even if you are not losing weight, you could be losing inches.

Italiangal
on 10/15/18 1:53 pm
Revision on 10/08/18

I agree about paying for switching to sleeve. I was self pay for my band because my insurance company wanted me to wait 3 months and follow a doctor supervised diet for 90 days before they would approve me - like I hadn't dieted before??? So I came up with the money, but sorry I did. At least my new insurance is paying for my sleeve, but my surgeon made me wait 6 months so that I would be completely healed after band removal. Unfortunately, during those 6 months I gained back 30 pounds - which really irritates me! Thanks for the tip about taking measurements. I haven't done that in a long time, but will be good to know the changes after surgery.

Mindy325
on 10/16/18 12:15 pm
VSG on 06/26/18

I meant to write maddeningly in my message, but I didn't recall the way to edit, so I added a comment. That comment was placed as though it was a reply to my first message. It therefore ends up at the bottom of the other messages even though they came after it. I just deleted it, so that's why it says I deleted a message. Whenever I see a deleted message, I always think the person wrote something bad, regretted it later, then went back and deleted it. Lol! That's not the case here.

Mindy325
on 10/14/18 11:08 pm
VSG on 06/26/18
Most Active