Revision from VSG to RNY due to Hiatal Hernia

akg55
on 8/22/18 7:40 am - Nanuet, NY

Hi All, I had my sleeve done in 2012. Everything was fine except for my gaining back most of my weight until about 3 months ago. I started all of a sudden throwing up. No nausea, just throwing up. Because of this I went to Doctors and got a tons of tests done. It is now found out that I have an anatomical defeat that has resulted in a Hiatal hernia where my stomach is bent up and in my diaphragm. The Surgeon says in order to fix it she doesn't want to just fix the hernia, but she wants to convert me to a RNY. She says that just fixing the hernia, it will more then likely come back. And doing the RNY, it won't. I am going for a second opinion, but wanted to know if anyone else else experienced this? If so, what is your experience with it? I originally did not do the RNY because I could not wrap my head around rerouting my pipes so to speak.

momyshaver
on 8/23/18 3:14 am
VSG on 06/28/17
On August 22, 2018 at 2:40 PM Pacific Time, akg55 wrote:

Hi All, I had my sleeve done in 2012. Everything was fine except for my gaining back most of my weight until about 3 months ago. I started all of a sudden throwing up. No nausea, just throwing up. Because of this I went to Doctors and got a tons of tests done. It is now found out that I have an anatomical defeat that has resulted in a Hiatal hernia where my stomach is bent up and in my diaphragm. The Surgeon says in order to fix it she doesn't want to just fix the hernia, but she wants to convert me to a RNY. She says that just fixing the hernia, it will more then likely come back. And doing the RNY, it won't. I am going for a second opinion, but wanted to know if anyone else else experienced this? If so, what is your experience with it? I originally did not do the RNY because I could not wrap my head around rerouting my pipes so to speak.

I am trying to understand... was this anatomical defect present in 2012 when you had your sleeve done? If not, it might be that the reason your Dr wants to convert to RNY is that somehow your sleeve bent over the years leading to a change in pressure causing the hiatal hernia and that converting to bypass will change the pressure exerted internally, resolving the hernia recurring. If your stomach is bent, simply resolving the hernia won't do anything to help restore your nutrition and stop vomiting, if that makes sense. Your pipes are already rerouted if your stomach is bent. A bypass is likely the only way to restore flow. My (non surgical) 2 cents fwiw

akg55
on 8/23/18 5:23 am - Nanuet, NY

HI fwiw, No back when I had the VSG, there was no hernia and my stomach was straight.

hhixson
on 8/23/18 9:54 am

That is exactly what happened to me minus the throwing up and add in a severe case of GERD. My surgeon says the hernia fix is only temporary and we would be back in the same place 2-3 years later. We submitted the revision to both my insurances and they have both approved. Now, I am just waiting on a surgery date. I told my surgeon if I never lost another pound I wouldn't care as long as the GERD is corrected.

Good luck,

Heather

Princess Kath
on 8/30/18 9:31 am, edited 8/30/18 2:32 am - camden Sydney (Australia), Australia

Oh my goodness this is what is happening to me. I have severe GERD am due for a revision from VSG to bypass in 3 weeks. I am hoping this will fix it.

Kathleen from down under

LDGonza
on 9/22/18 9:09 am

Im scheduled for revision in oct. i did not want a rny bc it just sounded too scary. Im two years out from vsg n about 40lbs from goal but yeah not losing any more would be a ok if this reflux would stop im going insane. Im on two omeprezoles a day and an ulcer slurry twice a day too. Right now im hungry but afraid to eat it hurts so bad.

akg55
on 9/22/18 11:19 am - Nanuet, NY

I am so sorry to hear all the pain you are in. My surgeon wants to do the revision to solve my Hernia. I have finally resigned myself to that fact. Now I am praying the insurance approves it.

LDGonza
on 9/22/18 11:55 am

My doc said he gets them approved by putting it as reflux surgery and not weight loss since it is to cure the gerd and primarily not for weight loss

Most Active