Considering revision

MartyW85
on 8/10/18 2:27 pm

I underwent my inital RNY at the age 0f 20. Throughout my twenties I maintained quite well. at 29 I got married... since that time I have been gaining back my weight. Last year I took a new job and in the last year have gained about 50 pounds. Before my RNY I weighed in at 335lbs. At my lowest I was 165lbs (looked sickly) but promised myself to never go over 200lbs. Felt and looked great at 180lbs. I am now back to 260lbs. I no longer experience dumping and can eat basically anything. I am considering a revision but am nervous my PCP wont support me(referral), two have a lot of shame. My BMI also does not meet criteria as it is 38 (not the magic 40)... wondering what others have gone through and what their experiences have been?

MartyW85
on 8/10/18 9:22 pm

I also forgot to mention that I developed spinal stenosis in February 2018. Requiring two shots of steroids. I'm still sore!

MarinaGirl
on 8/11/18 8:57 am, edited 8/11/18 1:59 am

Have you tried to go back to basics? Eat dense protein first followed by non-starchy vegetables, weigh your food, track what you eat with an app like MyFitnessPal, don't drink during a meal or 30-60 minutes afterwards, drink more than 64 oz of water a day, don't drink excess calories, no added sugar or processed food.... A revision may not help if the root cause of your regain is due to overeating.

As stated in this article on the main page, "bariatric surgery does not necessarily curb psychological cravings for foods, nor does it necessarily change emotional eating patterns."

kimiam
on 8/13/18 6:56 pm - riverside, CA

There's no shame in asking for help ! Please look into it , it will make things easier on your back too .

mollymom
on 9/12/18 2:36 pm - Arlington, TX

I had RnY in 04 and after developing autoimmune issues, I too have regained but I'm also embarressed about seeking info on a revision....

That's why I'm lurking! ? I guess we just need to bite the bullet and take care of ourselves!

Good Luck!!

Most Active