Sleeve to bypass on Tuesday! Any post op suggestions or warnings?

lbarry01
on 7/5/18 5:57 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Hi Paula, I am new to this forum but reading your conversations with folks gives me some peace of mind. I had the VSG in 2012 lost nearly 80 lbs but still had about 50 to go. I started getting hungry and then discovered that I had untreated PCOS which is causing havoc on the hormones. I am hungry all the time again, just turned 50 and see the chronic illness creeping up. I meet with my doctor about considering conversion to by pass and scared to death. Did you feel any shame, shame that you couldn't get to a healthy weight the first time around?

lbarry01
on 7/5/18 6:00 pm
VSG on 11/14/12

Follow the instructions, I started figuring out that the mashed potatoes were so comforting or close to "real food" but still lost 80 lbs in 2012. AS you know from my previous note I have gained much back. Follow the dietary instructions and timeline so that you take full advantage of the amazing tool you have.

bruindiva92
on 7/19/18 2:35 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

First,

I hope you are feeling better and the pain is subsiding.

I had VSG in March 2015, got down to 170 lbs (high weight 275 lbs) and then couldn't stop eating. Gained 30 pounds. Short story, had bile reflux and a hiatal hernia.

March 2017, had hernia repaired and RNY. Down to 160 lbs and maintaining.

And yes, I was in pain for a few weeks but eventually it got a lot better!

Now, I can't eat the same things with RNY as I did with VSG. For example, I eat less meat (I am a true carnivore). If I eat too much, it sits in my throat and then my pouch. It takes forever to digest now as compared to my unlimited supply of meat eating with VSG.

My advice, take you time. Learn your pouch. Know the weight will come off.

An10222
on 7/23/18 11:18 am

Hi Thank you for responding back to me it means so much. I had my rny hernia repair repair July 3 so three weeks tomorrow and I am feeling a little better. All of a sudden saturday a fog kind of lifted probably the oxycodone I was on for the first few days. Jk I'm curious about your screen name me being from Boston, Ma I like it. Thank you for your suggestions keep them coming. ?? Andrea

Gonnabskinni2018
on 8/29/18 2:17 pm

How are you doing now? Has you issues been resolved getting the RNY? Also what complications were you having?

An10222
on 9/3/18 8:19 am

Hi, I'm doing better Thank you. I had my PICC line out last Thursday and the fog seems to lifting. My brain has not been my own since my first surgery in vsg in March 2018. The rny went great 7/3/18 and now 2 months post from that I'm doing much better. The complications were I just couldn't stomach ( no pun intended ) anything liquid or solids. So after 17 iv hydration trips to the hospital I had a PICC line put in. I hated it but it kept me in better health and I dealt with the side effects for me it was nausea, hot flashes, clotted lines, diarrhea, more I can't remember. I guess what I'm saying is after 6 months and 75lbs down, I'm getting better everyday. I hope your doing well. Thanks for responding

Looking4home
on 3/2/19 8:22 am
Revision on 04/05/19

Hi,

I am in the process of being revised. Can you tell me what has changed since your revision? Thank you so much!

Tahmendoza
on 9/5/18 1:32 am
RNY on 08/20/18

Hi, i had VSG on 6/11/18 and had so many complications. I was converted to a RNY on 8/20/18. I was in the hospital off and on for 27 days. First my stomach twisted. Imagine wringing water from a washcloth. Well that is what my stomach did. Dr. went back in and repaired that. Next i developed a stricture mid stomach. Tried dilation then a stent. The stent was awful. I could not keep it in for more than a week. Once the stent was removed, i was converted. Its been a little over 2 weeks now. I'm not sure of how i feel. I was 274 and I am now 208. Even with the weightloss, I can not really say if I do or don't regret this surgery. I researched VSG for 4 years before deciding to go with it. I don't know as much about RNY but I am learning.

Most Active