Battling Hunger at almost 3 months out.

racemomss
on 11/13/17 9:48 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Hi Everyone! As many of you know I had a revision from Sleeve to RNY. I know my surgeon has made my new tummy a bit bigger than the standard. I have no problem eating and dumping is not an issue. I struggle daily because I feel hungry. I get my protein, water, and vitamins in daily. I stay away from sugar and carbs most days. I eat my protein first and then veggies. I do not drink with meals. That being said is this normal to be hungry so soon? If I allowed my self I could eat more than I used to with the sleeve. I had many issues with the sleeve and that caused the new surgery to fix those problems. I didn't do it to lose weight however I am taking advantage of the tool while I can. I am wondering if its acid causing me to be hungry?

bruindiva92
on 11/13/17 1:52 pm
Revision on 03/29/17

Racemomss,

How many meals are you having daily? I had a revision to RNY in March 2017 and have 6 mini meals a day. My hunger has not returned so I must remember to eat. I do dump and have RH so I must be careful.

As for the acid, do you have GERD or was that eliminated with the revision? I did lose the regain of 30 lbs and I have met my initial goal--I think I will lose another 10-15 lbs.

racemomss
on 11/13/17 2:23 pm - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I have a protein shake for breakfast and then a protein bar mid morning. For lunch I can eat. I feel hungry with the headache, and sometimes and shaky. I have been told I am not hungry. I know with the sleeve they said acid could be mistaken for hunger. I am wondering if that is what I am feeling. I had GERD bad before the revision and so far haven't needed meds. I don't get sick at night anymore and no pain with the ulcer I had previously. I was hoping I would not fee hungry. I do have 3 meals plus snacks like cheese stick, protein bar, fruit, etc. But I do not feel restriction or full and I have not experienced eating more than I should. I wonder if I should do more bigger meals 6 times a day? Like more protein and veggies if I can? I gained 70 pounds back with all the issues. The only thing that soothed me at night was tootsie rolls (the vanilla). I know the choices I made back dealing with the issues caused the regain and lack of exercise magnified it as well. I would like to loose it now. I am down 30 pounds and hope another 40 will find its way off of me. But the eating more now concerns me.

hollykim
on 11/14/17 6:36 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 13, 2017 at 10:23 PM Pacific Time, racemomss wrote:

I have a protein shake for breakfast and then a protein bar mid morning. For lunch I can eat. I feel hungry with the headache, and sometimes and shaky. I have been told I am not hungry. I know with the sleeve they said acid could be mistaken for hunger. I am wondering if that is what I am feeling. I had GERD bad before the revision and so far haven't needed meds. I don't get sick at night anymore and no pain with the ulcer I had previously. I was hoping I would not fee hungry. I do have 3 meals plus snacks like cheese stick, protein bar, fruit, etc. But I do not feel restriction or full and I have not experienced eating more than I should. I wonder if I should do more bigger meals 6 times a day? Like more protein and veggies if I can? I gained 70 pounds back with all the issues. The only thing that soothed me at night was tootsie rolls (the vanilla). I know the choices I made back dealing with the issues caused the regain and lack of exercise magnified it as well. I would like to loose it now. I am down 30 pounds and hope another 40 will find its way off of me. But the eating more now concerns me.

the protein bars and fruit could be triggering hunger. The fruit is pure sugar. Protein bars are just glorified candy bars.

I suggest you eat dense protein instead of those things and maybe instead of the protein shake.

do you drink 64+ ounces of liquid a day? Dehydration can mimic hunger.

racemomss
on 11/14/17 7:10 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

Thank you for this. I hadn't thought of the fruit as triggers. But it might be. I will stop that and see how that goes. I do get in between 80 and 100 ounces of water. It is either decaf iced tea with stevia or water with sugar free flavor packets. I really want the hunger to go away. I am dropping inches but sure don't want to put anything back on or slow progress.

hollykim
on 11/14/17 8:25 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 14, 2017 at 3:10 PM Pacific Time, racemomss wrote:

Thank you for this. I hadn't thought of the fruit as triggers. But it might be. I will stop that and see how that goes. I do get in between 80 and 100 ounces of water. It is either decaf iced tea with stevia or water with sugar free flavor packets. I really want the hunger to go away. I am dropping inches but sure don't want to put anything back on or slow progress.

really consider replacing the protein bar/ shakes with dense protein also. Liquids run right through and bars make many hungry.

racemomss
on 11/14/17 8:41 am - TX
VSG on 08/29/12

I am definitely going to do that. This RNY is much different than the Sleeve I had for sure. Thank you so much!

HonestOmnivore
on 11/30/17 12:08 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

I make a tea using a chai tea bag (I love Stash brand Green Chai but any will work fine), then mix in a half scoop of vanilla protein powder. It's sweet, smooth, and soothing. Make sure you let the tea brew first so it has time to cool off or the protein powder will curdle and you'll have to chew your tea.

To cut back on the sweet, I often just use plain protein powder with a little truvia. Some evenings I'll have three or four mugs of protein tea rather than dinner. You can also stir plain protein powder into a (slightly cooled) cup of sugar free hot chocolate but that now seems TOO sweet!

Try different types of teas, I've enjoyed peppermint and a few others that are caffeine free or at least reduced caffeine.

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

unagordita
on 12/23/17 7:50 pm

I honestly don't understand why those protein bars are used by a certain weight loss group they're loaded with stuff that is so bad for you.

MarinaGirl
on 11/16/17 12:37 pm

Another idea is to try drinking plain tea and water instead of adding sweeteners to them to see if that helps. Post-GB, I'm very sensitive to artificial sweeteners so I don't consume my daily fluids with them and I don't have hunger like you describe.

Most Active