gastric emptying test and possible revision

monsr81
on 9/7/17 7:01 am

I completed the emptying study because of regain and difficulty losing weight. I was told that food is sitting in my lower intestines too long which is the cause and this makes me a candidate for revision. If anyone has any info about how a revision would fix this issue, how involved revision is, and how successful revision is--that would be greatly appreciated!! thank you

drizz75
on 10/7/17 8:55 am, edited 10/7/17 2:13 am

Are you in Buffalo? I've never heard of a gastric emptying study, except through Dr. Caruana. :) I had mine in August and it was SO not fun! Same issue with the small intestine, so I met with the dietitian, behaviorist, and finally the surgeon. They presented the info to insurance, and I was approved immediately. Surgery date is Nov 20.

I looked up some of the info on this, and I think what my surgeon is doing is a shortening of the common channel. (I think..lol. He gave me lots of information in a very short visit, but he has published papers on this and is currently working on another one.) Here's an abstract I found: http://www.soard.org/article/S1550-7289(15)00308-1/abstract

monsr81
on 10/9/17 5:03 am

yes...north Tonawanda and caruana. I don't have anything scheduled yet. I need more information. will the revision fix the issue?

drizz75
on 10/9/17 3:27 pm

Funny, I'm actually in NT as well. Small world!

Well, the whole point is to help you lose, but everyone is different. Have you met with Caruana, the LPN, dietitian, and behaviorist yet? I'm sure they would be better at giving you estimates than I would.

The paper I posted above is by Dr. Caruana, and there are several more. It seems like he has been testing this out for a while and has had some good results.

Good luck!

monsr81
on 10/10/17 5:23 am

my concern I need to ask him about is regarding the results of the emptying study. if I have the revision and it's not going to fix that problem im not sure it's going to be work it. Good luck with the surgery--if you don't mind, please keep me posted on how it went! thank you

drizz75
on 11/21/17 3:13 pm

Hi there.

Had my surgery yesterday and sitting in the hospital with my liquids. Lol

The shortening of the common channel takes length off of the small intestine, so food moves through faster. He didn't touch my pouch at all, as it seems to still be in good working order.

Good luck on your journey!

monsr81
on 11/22/17 8:04 am

glad ur surgery went well! I met with him last week. My iron and thyroid aren't quite where they need to be for me to be ready for the procedure. I meet back with him in 3months.

thank you so much for getting back in touch with me!!! I really appreciate it. If you don't mind, please keep me updated with ur post recovery---goods and hopefully few/no bads!!!! good luck to you!!!!!

monsr81
on 1/3/18 10:13 am

Hello!!! My follow up with Dr. Caruana is coming up soon. I was curious how you were doing with your recovery and how you've been feeling. Happy New Year :)

drizz75
on 1/14/18 7:48 pm

Hi there,

I'm doing well after my revision. Surgery went perfectly, 2 days in the hospital, healed up with no issues. My biggest complaint is that I have not lost a pound. I had surgery on 11/20, and I've been bouncing around the same 5 lbs. since then. The PA at the office was dumbfounded and said I should up my calories. Still nothing. I'm so discouraged and feel like I did this for nothing. :-(

monsr81
on 1/15/18 7:41 am

wow!!! they have no explanation for you?! how frustrating...I would probably feel the same way. Carauna has no information either??? I'm so sorry about the results but glad to hear your recovered well.

Most Active