Checking in, my RNY Revision done.

Michelle L.
on 8/22/17 3:50 pm

Hi Jim

Thanks for sharing your story. I had my RNY 3/6/2009. Pre Op i was 289lb. Lowest weight was 187lb. I'm now 260lb. It slowly creeped back. All the health issues I had before the surgery are all starting to reappear. I have been considering it and didn't know what to expect. I dont know where to start....

JimVonBaden
on 8/22/17 4:25 pm - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 11/10/04 with

Hi Michelle,

In my case, I made an appointment with the same doctor that did my original RNY. It was pretty painless and from first contact to surgery it was about 3 months.

I would suggest you just get started. It is well worth it!

Jim

RNY 11/2004 (lost 110 pounds, gained back to 284), revision 8/2017 (down 26 pounds)

mi75
on 8/22/17 6:11 pm
VSG on 06/01/14

Jim, is your post op diet the same- are you going through all the 'phases' for weeks or do you get to graduate to food sooner?

I was thinking about something today, my husband reminded me...I recall very vividly now, that about 10 days post op I drank 32 oz of a protein shake with added milk for lunch. it took me about 35 minutes and I was 'sipping' but obviously my sips were more of small glugs.

I am seriously starting to wonder if my sleeve was maybe not as small as standard, or if I had other issues right from the beginning...I have my appointment next week and will have EGD as part of the whole workup so i'll be interested to see what the new surgeon thinks of the existing sleeve.

JimVonBaden
on 8/22/17 6:15 pm - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 11/10/04 with

Standard, two weeks liquid diet, then two weeks mushy food, then start eating normal foods introducing one new food at a time. The revision allows for a person to eat more than the original surgery after a few days. I can tolerate about 6 ounces at a time, less with more solid foods. The usual 10/20/30 applies to drinking when eating.

Jim

RNY 11/2004 (lost 110 pounds, gained back to 284), revision 8/2017 (down 26 pounds)

georgia4971
on 8/28/17 1:44 pm

Hi Jim!

Thank you for posting! I too had an RNY back in 2004. pre-op weight was 311. I lost 161 total, but have slowly gained back and am now 232. I can't stand myself and you are correct! Old habits creep back in. I a considering a revision. My doc said a sleeve would be ok for me, but I think I want a full RNY revision. Do you think there is a benefit from having one over the other? How do you feel? Tired? Hair loss? I had all of the above! Any input would be great!

~Georgia

JimVonBaden
on 8/28/17 1:55 pm - Alexandria, VA
RNY on 11/10/04 with

Hi Georgia,

My doctor was confident that a full RNY revision was needed. He also shortened my intestine a further 30CM. I am almost 3 weeks post-op and feeling fine. I eat around 600 calories a day. I was initially tired, but after a week feeling good. No hair loss, I don't have any anyhow. My weight loss has been slow, 14 pounds post op, 10 pounds pre-op.

Jim

burgundy721
on 9/11/17 11:04 pm, edited 9/11/17 4:05 pm

Hi I would like to thank Jim as well. Georgia I started about the same as you. First appointment 307 SW: 286 on my 28th bday 2/9/10. I got down to 153 the lowest. I started to feel a little fatigue, so instead of paying attention to my lab work my PCP prescribed Zoloft. He said I was slightly depressed. My creatin and another lab was a bit high from the protein and constant workouts. I stopped the Zoloft fed up with small gain. My new doc prescribed paxel when I had an anxiety crash 3wks after. That med was worse now I take a different med maintain at 233-236. If I workout constantly I lose. I've been contemplating revision, but don't know where to start. My pcp doesn't think I need it, but I just got offered a job at one of the best hospitals that does do a revision going through the throat. They have great insurance, and I won't have to take time off. Part time secretary. I need to figure out how to go about this beginning.

Kathy S.
on 9/12/17 11:12 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Jim

I too had my surgery in 2004 and remember seeing you on the boards. Welcome back

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

DflyTC
on 9/19/17 3:41 pm

Almost, Jim. I was on here in 2005, had RNY and am currently pursuing revision. We may have overlapped! Final appt. with surgeon this Thursday, then submit to insurance. I'm curious about what you had done as your revision. It sounds successful already. I've been skeptical that the results would come quickly this time. Hang in there. Maybe some of us have to try again, but I believe the second time around we are much wiser and in tune with what we need to do. I know I am taking it more seriously now. Keep it up.

Memorymom
on 9/30/17 7:20 am

Thanks for sharing your story Jim! I had a gastric bypass in 2003 and lost 160 pounds. I've gained 40 pounds back just this year. I'm considering perhaps going to Mexico for a revision as I got my insurance will pay. What revision options were you given? I prefer to go the least invasive, however most of those options appear did not have a great success rate.

Thanks again!

Most Active