Revision from Lap Band to I don't know what yet. Please share your input!

tna1205
on 8/11/17 1:55 pm
Revision on 09/25/17

I am having the band to sleeve revision. I am having the same issues with the band as you are and I cannot wait to have the band removed. I am also scarred that my eating habits are so bad due to the band problems that I will have a poor diet. I did really well eating a vegan diet with some chicken but the veggies were getting stuck in the band unless I saturated them in salad dressing. I am glad someone has had success with the revision.

Doriam R.
on 8/13/17 5:46 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

PLEASE check the health of your esophagus asap, do a barium swallow, a motility study and check your LES muscles. I had a dilated esophagus and did the revision to vsg and have no restriction whatsoever... talk to your surgeon. Best of luck!

SReg
on 11/24/17 9:24 am
RNY on 12/20/17 with

I'm so happy to hear from someone two years out from band-to-bypass revision. I'm doing the same thing in late December and it's great to get a long-term perspective. Thanks!

tna1205
on 8/11/17 1:51 pm
Revision on 09/25/17

HI,

I have had my band for ten years and I was just approved for revision to the sleeve. I initially lost 110 with the band but after having my daughter the band never worked properly. right now I am very restricted on what I can eat, think lots of liquids, mashed potatoes, and foods covered in salad dressing. I paid out of pocket for the initial lap band but due to the medical issues that I am having, same as what you described, my insurance is covering the removal and the revision. If you have private health insurance you should be covered for the removal and possibly the revision. I looked up a doctor office that participated with my insurance and went for a consult. The new doctor told me they are looking at not doing the lap band as there are some many difficulties that people have and the weight loss is not always that great. There is a doctor in MI, Dr. Laker, that will do the revision out of pocket but I don't remember how much. Good luck.

hollykim
on 8/12/17 7:56 am, edited 8/12/17 12:56 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 11, 2017 at 8:51 PM Pacific Time, tna1205 wrote:

HI,

I have had my band for ten years and I was just approved for revision to the sleeve. I initially lost 110 with the band but after having my daughter the band never worked properly. right now I am very restricted on what I can eat, think lots of liquids, mashed potatoes, and foods covered in salad dressing. I paid out of pocket for the initial lap band but due to the medical issues that I am having, same as what you described, my insurance is covering the removal and the revision. If you have private health insurance you should be covered for the removal and possibly the revision. I looked up a doctor office that participated with my insurance and went for a consult. The new doctor told me they are looking at not doing the lap band as there are some many difficulties that people have and the weight loss is not always that great. There is a doctor in MI, Dr. Laker, that will do the revision out of pocket but I don't remember how much. Good luck.

not every insurance company covers removal and revision of any bariatric surgery.

if there is an exclusion for baristric surgery on ones policy, no bariatrics will be covered , period.

Doriam R.
on 8/13/17 5:39 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

Check the health of your esophagus ASAP, motility study, barium swallow, LES muscles working properly!!!

Doriam R.
on 8/13/17 5:37 pm - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

HIIIII! I also had the lap band in 2005 in Mexico, I loved my band at the beginning, I reached my goal and probably kept it for 2 seconds... lol... then I started gaining again... during the past 5 years I had numerous problems, unfilled and then fill again, COPD, Astma until the last episode, I has aspiration Phemonia and on the way to the hospital choking.. I had a heart attack caused by the lack of oxygen.... So my recomendation YES take the band OUT ASAP....

I had the revision to VSG BUT the band left me with a dilated esophagus. And that damage is irreversible... I DID NOT KNOW THIS UNTIL AFTERTHE SURGERY!!!! So I have no restriction with the Sleve... MY ADVICE

Please have your surgeon do a motility study of your esophagus and check your LES muscles to mke sure they are working ok before you make a decision to do another surgery. Do also a barium swalow to check how is your whole esophagus working.

Very best of luck in your journey!!

PreventiveMeasures
on 8/13/17 9:00 pm

Ohhh goodness that is SCARY!!! Who did both your surgeries? You say they revised you to VSG & you do not have restriction but are you or did you lose weight due to the small stomach??

I have only had reflux a few times & am wondering "IF" I have some gall bladder issues going on or a Hiatal Hernia besides the band issues. Gosh I'm getting myself all freaked out of what if's again!!

Doriam R.
on 8/14/17 10:19 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

My lapband was done by Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey Mexico. My Sleeve was done by Dr Ganta in Austin Texas. You dont need to be scare, if your esophagus is working ok your sleeve will be perfect and there are many successful people that have done it and feel restriction.

I am working really hard in my weight loss. Dont feel restriction but I still measuring my food and staying under 800 calories. Drinking my water and having my protein.... still have an appointment with a gastroenterologist to check my dilated esophagus...

Best of luck, those tests I mention are very easy and will guaranty more success after the sleeve!!

fromfattohealthy
on 8/14/17 6:23 am - Canada

I am a Lap Band revision :) I had similar issues with my band, turns out it had slipped.

I had my band removed and RNY in the same surgery, I also had lots of scar tissue removed. Best decision I have ever made. My surgery was on May. 16, 2017 and I have since lost 42lbs - bringing me to ONEderland (193lbs)

My surgeon did not recommend the sleeve (this is his own personal opinion) he said the sleeve is similar to the band in that it provides restriction, he thought I would have longer term success with RNY and I trusted him. Recovery was a challenge for about the first 3 days, and after that I felt significantly better every day.

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

Most Active