LOW BLOOD SUGAR AT OR NEAR GOAL WEIGHT

dvolumptious1
on 5/23/17 8:09 am

Does this happen to anyone else? Seem like I have excessive hypoglycemia whenever I'm at or within 10 lbs of my correct BMI. I'm not sure it I'm meant to be that size because I feel so crappy all the time.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/17 5:06 pm

I get that if I don't eat right. Good for me foods.

that may include fruits and some veggies, starches, grains (bread, pasta, barley, quinoa, etc);

heavily processed foods (protein shakes and protein bars) ; dairy products like yogurt and milk.. and so on.

Even lean proteins - with no added fat - can cause my body to overreact and I may get RH- reactive hypoglycemia.

Drinking alcohol may trigger that..and so on...

It felt like - the leaner I go - the less reserves my body had to recover from low BS.

It sounds dreadful - but I found what and how much I can eat to keep my body happy..and lean..

nuts, nut butters, meats and veggies (with some butter or other fat added).

it took me a 6 months of a detailed food tracking to understand what is going on.

read about (google it) food insulin index to try to understand how your body reacts to different foods.

It was a surprise to me to learn that my body released insulin when I eat or drink lean proteins. And with my reserves gone - and none from food - my BS would drop.. and my body would overreact.

I often use nuts or nut butters to stabilize my BS. Knowing that if I have lean - grilled chicken breast - I need to pair it with some butter or mayo and a bite (literally a bite or 2) of some veggies or starches (3-4 sweet potato fries) to prevent hypoglycemia an hour or 2 later...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dvolumptious1
on 5/24/17 5:02 am

Thanks. I may need to do a food tracker as well since its getting worse. I had a cup of coffee the other morning with splenda and I felt it coming on so I ate a small pack of plain peanuts. 2 hours later I was vomiting and faint. I stay away from sugars and things that will cause my sugar to spike and crash now that its getting worse. Just weird that its occurring early in the morning now.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/24/17 5:30 am

I had that happen to me also. I learn to prevent morning Hypoglycemia.

I had to eat some food before I buy went to bed.

Forme that was nuts or nut butter. (I got tested to make sure I am not allergic to of nuts,) Nut butter worked better since it would just stayed in my pouch, - small intestine and got slowly absorbed during the night. I would buy good quality- organic, no sugar added nut butter. Almonds were my first choice. They have enough carbs- proteins and fat to keep my body happy. Some people choose other protein rich snacks, like cheese.

I also kept nut butter handy in my night stand. I often would eat 1 or 2 tsp of nut butter before my coffee. Coffee (caffeine) can cause insulin spike, even planning black coffee. If you use Splenda- that almost always have additives- like dextrose. Dextrose ?is sugar. Even small amount - and the sweet taste may trigger some of us to start making ?insulin.

I know I can get RH if I drink to much diet soda without eating anything. So I don't.

PS: Unfortunately having food in the small intestine over night- day after day - can contribute to SIBO and IBS. Unfortunately that is issue I am dealing with the last few years. Until recently I never made the connection.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 5/24/17 12:38 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Yes, nut butters (all kinds) or a small serving of nuts are my bedtime go to since I have RH. It helps to stabilize my blood sugars. When I wore the continuous glucose monitor they discovered my numbers would drop into the low 50s high 40s and I wouldn't realize it. So I was instructed to always have a small snack right before bed to keep me stable. Also, sweet potato has become my friend. if I have no more than a 1/4 cup with my dinner I tend to avoid an RH reaction later in the evening. It definitely takes a while and a bunch of trial and error to find what works.

tammym
on 5/25/17 10:35 pm - Portland, OR
Revision on 01/16/12

I have the same problem. A keto diet is the answer. There is a facebook group that has macros and spreadsheets and meal plans. I don't follow it myself because they are very hard core low carb, but if you truly want to get rid of your diabetes/hypoglycemia, that is how to do it.

Most Active