I need Ya'll to comment?? :) Questions inside...(Revision)

ladygodiva1228
on 4/5/17 5:21 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On April 4, 2017 at 9:51 PM Pacific Time, Joy8484 wrote:

Soooo my Revision friends,

I went to see my doctor last week, and my blood work and Stomach results were fine(stomach results, as in my pouch is still small). However the Doctor said, I did put a significant amount of weight on and asked me what I wanted to do, so I told him Revision.

My questions for you all...

1. What Revision can I get, if my pouch is already small?
  2. How does insurance work leading up to Surgery? ( I have Aetna)
  3. Next visit, I have I'll ask what types of Revisions are available and which one is more safe then others as well as which one is the best, results wise.

4. Lastly, What are reasons for revision, is it the WEIGHT GAIN or something went wrong during SURGERY, POUCH ENLARGED? (please answer,I need answers)?

Honestly I don't think there is any type of revision for an already small pouch. There is the band over bypass, but I wouldn't recommend that to even my worst enemy. Way to many complications with the bands.

Before you look any further into a revision you need to look at why you gained weight back. If it is due to what and how much you eat then there is no revision that will work.

Most insurances approve a revision if there is some sort of mechanical failure like an enlarged pouch, GERD, or other type of issues. Weight gain alone doesn't always cut it unless again it was due to some sort of mechanical failure.

You have to understand not all insurance companies will cover a revision and some have a "once in a lifetime WLS" clause.

If I were you I would track everything that goes in my mouth, calories, carbs, sugar, and protein. What is your water intake like?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

shunt1960
on 4/6/17 3:43 am
VSG on 04/28/10 with

What kind of surgery did you have? If you had the sleeve you could revise to Duodenal Switch. However, I agree with the others. If your pouch is intact you should use it as it is. I know I did. I have been back to basics and have dropped 60 lbs since January 3rd. I would try to lose the weight gained. Many insurances will not cover revision, especially if what you have is not the issue. I've told myself that there's only one surgery, if I can't make it work then bad on me. It's a tool. You need to have the mindset to use your tool and stop the bad eating habits that generally start back up. You need to get your head into utilizing the tool you have.

SW /CW/GW   307.6/202/180    Not a Sprint but what a Journey it is

Joy8484
on 4/7/17 10:25 am
Revision on 03/23/17
  1. must say this, and I hope the people who were rude and not understanding see this.

I came on this Forum to gain a better understanding of Revisions, I have a hard exterior so I'm fine with the comments. However LET ME SCHOOL some of you, Having class and. etiquette will take you extremely far, if you know how to talk to people, I didn't come on here to be told what I should do, I came on here for insight, I'm a young lady who will make my own decisions however I thought some of you could answer simple questions but I see you cannot.

Watch your words ladies, hopefully you all went to a university that taught manners but by the looks of some of my responses, I see you did not.

If you don't have any encouraging words or anything knowledgeable to say, PLEAEE EXIT!

And for the record, I know exactly what I want to do, regarding Revision, none of your useless comments will change my mind. Now I'm going to get back to my students.

Have a great day, and take this time to be kind and don't say stupid ****! Thx

Joy84.. Hope this finds the RUDIES, (made my own word)

megange1
on 4/7/17 1:35 am

Hi, I wanted to comment because some of the responses were a tad shaming. If you have a sleeve you can revise to a DS or a RNY. With the DS you can be resleeved or simply do the second step. You will need to commit to new diet restrictions and vitamins, but I believe you can do this. Just because one surgery didn't work for you, doesn't mean another won't. Many insurances will cover this. I wish you the best of luck. Even considering this shows how brave you are!

annjones
on 4/7/17 7:08 am - Kansas City, KS
RNY on 02/13/17

I agree, talk to your WL team and explore why you have gained weight. There may be some underlying condition or something that needs to be addressed. Medications you are on, Psych stuff, etc.

Ann Jones
HW-304/SW-295/CW-226/GW-200

RNY Surgery 2/13/2017
12/23/08 Band Date - Removal Date 08/15/16

Joy8484
on 4/7/17 10:22 am
Revision on 03/23/17
  1. I must say this, and I hope the people who were rude and not understanding see this.

I came on this Forum to gain a better understanding of Revisions, I have a hard exterior so I'm fine with the comments. However LET ME SCHOOL some of you, Having class and. etiquette will take you extremely far, if you know how to talk to people, I didn't come on here to be told what I should do, I came on here for insight, I'm a young lady who will make my own decisions however I thought some of you could answer simple questions but I see you cannot.

Watch your words ladies, hopefully you all went to a university that taught manners but by the looks of some of my responses, I see you did not.

If you don't have any encouraging words or anything knowledgeable to say, PLEAEE EXIT!

And for the record, I know exactly what I want to do, regarding Revision, none of your useless comments will change my mind. Now I'm going to get back to my students.

Have a great day, and take this time to be kind and don't say stupid ****! Thx

Joy84.. Hope this finds the RUDIES, (made my own word)

Travelher
on 4/7/17 10:47 am, edited 4/7/17 3:50 am
Revision on 10/04/16

I assume you have an RNY and you are still eating according to plan tracking food and calories etc and still did not lose.

In cases like that from what I have heard, the most common next option is the DS. Agree with another poster that whatever you do do not agree to a band in any cir****tances. they are a nightmare and I personally know people who can never get a revision because of the damage from the band. I am a revision from the band to RNY.

Did your surgeon tell you your pouch size? I've heard most are 30-35cc. I know mine is 55cc (because i'm a revision and they have to work around scarring etc from the band.)

Band-RNY revision age 50 5'4" HW 260 SW: 244 (bf healthy range 23-35%) bf 23.7% (at 137lbs) cw range 135-138.lbl with butt lift and mastoplexy March 23, 2018...2.5lbs removed.

Pre-op-16lbs (size 18/20...244) M1-16lbs (size 18...228) M2-15.6lbs (size 16/18...212.4) M3-10lbs (size 16..202.4) M4-11.4lbs (size 14...191) M5-10.8lbs (size 12...180.2) M6-8.4 (size 8/10...171.8) M7-6.4 (size 8...165.4 lbs) M8-11.6 (size 6...153.8) M9-5.6 (size 4/6...148.2) M10-5.8 (size 4....142.4) M11-4 (size 2/4...138.4) Surgiversary -1 (size 2/4...137.4) M13-2.6 (size 2/4...134.8) M14 (size 2/4...134.8) M15 (size 2...135) M16 (size 2...131.4) M17 (size 2...135) M18 (size 2...135) M19 (size 2...138) M20 (size 2...135) M21 (size 2...138)

Queen JB
on 4/7/17 11:11 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I am so confused by the repeated call for nice answers? Huh? A nice answer is only the one that tells you that there is an easy solution to your problem??? What on earth is rude about telling you that the solution is already in your power? You should be grateful that there are so many people here who are willing answer your question and provide you support for success.

There have been a lot of people on this site who have regained and then lost by following a low carb, high protein diet. You can do this! But lashing out at the people who are trying to give you help will not get you anywhere. You are literally the only one on this thread who is showing no class or manner, by calling people names.

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

Laura in Texas
on 4/7/17 11:23 am

You can revise from RNY to the DS, but it is a very complicated surgery and there are really only a few doctors in the country that have the skill necessary to do it correctly. If it is done incorrectly, you will spend a lot of time in the hospital and may die, like a friend of mine did. Please research your options and your surgeon carefully.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

megange1
on 4/7/17 11:53 am

I just wanted to say that I used to be on this site 10 years ago and it felt like a completely different place. I've been considering a revision, but honestly got nervous to post because it felt like a place that used to be about inclusion and kindness, but had now turned into one more place where people judged overweight people. As an outsider of this post, I was a bit surprised by the responses at first, and can see how the original author might have felt judged and was hurt by it. It almost feels like there is now a divide on this site between people whose weight loss surgeries have worked and those whose have not. Those whose surgeries have worked, seem to now be those people in the world who used to look at fat people and make assumptions, like they are just lazy, they don't care enough, they should just diet. Bottom line, that being fat was their fault. Now add to that the knowledge that someone has already had WLS and you have a whole new bag of ammunition. I just want to say that before you judge someone for a failed surgery, you may not want to just assume it was the person's fault because then you become those people, that I think most of us come here to get away from. This forum is for revision surgery help, not diet shaming. These are just my two sense because I know a lot of people have commented on forums that people aren't responding as much, and I know I've been scared to respond because of the new negativity I've found here. I would just love for this site to go back to a place where people were just kind above all else. It saddens me that so many posts now have to literally say, "please don't be mean in your comments, I'm sad enough..." When this place has become a site where people have to ask for kindness, something is wrong.

PS. There are still a lot of amazing people here who are super supportive, and this doesn't apply to you at all.

Most Active