Revision after Lap band

cherrilo
on 3/22/17 1:04 pm

I had the Lap Band in 2007, and was successful for the first year I lost about 90 lbs. Then it just stopped working no matter how much fluid they put in to it, it did not change. In 2016 I ended up getting some kind of infection in the port 2 of the 3 sutures on the port released and the port flipped up. I had to have the band removed, now its been a year later and I have gain all of my weight back and I am struggling. I am having to redo all of the things I had done to have my first surgery but I am hoping it is worth it. I am in the process of having the Sleeve, dietian, mental health and all the other stuff I have had to do. Has any one done this or had similar problems? I am ready and cant wait to have this surgery. I pray every day that it works this time. Any input is welcome, good or bad.

fromfattohealthy
on 3/23/17 11:13 am - Canada

I haven't had my revision just yet, but I am in the process. I am in Canada, so we have to go through a lot of appointments too. At this stage I am waiting for an appointment with the surgeon and a surgery date. In Canada they consider RNY the "gold standard" which means that if you want or need the sleeve it has to be medically necessary. I am hoping for the sleeve, but after attending all the classes I would be okay with RNY.
I still have my lap band - so I need to have my lap band removed as well. Once I do have my surgery I will be posting in this forum.

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

annjones
on 3/25/17 7:22 am - Kansas City, KS
RNY on 02/13/17

2008 was when I was banded and I had great success at first. Then my band slipped and I fought to "get back on track" for a few years. I finally made the decission to get revision surgery to RNY and I'm happy with my progress.

Before revision I really felt like it was me that failed and not the band. (All that head stuff) But after reading so many similar stories about band issues I realized the band failed not me. The food restrictions are so much easier with RNY since going through the band. The one good thing is no more food getting stuck. I feel healthier and it has only been a bit over a month.

Follow your doc and his teams directions, you will love your new tool and it will make all the difference!

Ann Jones
HW-304/SW-295/CW-226/GW-200

RNY Surgery 2/13/2017
12/23/08 Band Date - Removal Date 08/15/16

fromfattohealthy
on 3/25/17 7:29 am - Canada

Thank you for sharing this.

My biggest fear is failure. I did not succeed with my band and when I looked for support the health team that did my band kept saying it was my fault.

I can't wait to get this thing out and continue on this journey with the right tool for me.

kristenmh
on 3/25/17 9:34 pm

i share that fear. i initially succeeded with the band -- i lost about 50lbs in 7 months but then started to gain it back almost immediately. i ended up 35lbs over my highest pre-band weight and was vomiting constantly.

i had the band removed back in december and was sleeved earlier this week. I lost about 40lbs on my 6 month diet before the surgery (i initially lost a little more, but gained back 5lbs after the band was removed) and have another 100 to go.

cherrilo
on 8/23/17 6:20 am

Definitely NOT your fault!! That band just did not work. Failure is always on the back of my mind now that I have had the VGS, I am 4 weeks out and it has been a struggle, but I am starting to see the benefits finally and every day I am feeling better. I have a different relationship with food now, and I am learning a lot of things about food. Never give up on the journey to being healthy! That is my goal.

fromfattohealthy
on 8/23/17 6:24 am - Canada

I had my revision on May 16. Band to Bypass...I am down almost 45lbs. Absolutely no regrets :)

5'0 - SW - 240LBS | Lap Band - August 2015| Revision Band to RNY Surgery - May 16, 2017| Opti-fast - 9lbs | G.W - 150LBS | CW - 165LBS |

cherrilo
on 8/23/17 6:35 am

Congrats!! We are going to make it!

Renee C.
on 3/24/17 7:49 pm - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

For your initial question -- absolutely yes, revision to a new WLS from an old band surgery is not uncommon these days. My surgeon told me the only band surgery he does anymore is removal, people have so many problems with them.

My revision from band to bypass was Feb 1st. I'm so glad I did it. So are others I've met who have switched from band to a different WLS.

Best wishes, I think you will be happy you went this route!

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Jennifer P.
on 3/26/17 5:16 pm - KS
Revision on 11/08/17

I just received my approval for revision and have chosen Gastricbypass. I am hoping I can have the band removed and bypass on the same day. 50/50 chance my surgeon says. I'm very excited. I also had my band placed in 2007. Lost 100 lbs all the weight came back many band problems. Good luck to you!

Most Active