Revision weights? Weight gained back? Stretched stoma or pouch?

andrea may 05
on 5/5/17 11:53 am - Sun Valley, NV

Hooray!! I am thinking about revision. I had my RNY on 2005. Everything was great but I have regained 15 lb.s over the past 2 years and I know that I am eating more. Diner used to be served on a saucer but now I use a salad sized plate. I get hungry. Really hungry. I am pretty sure the stoma has stretched. I tried doing Atkins twice now without more than 3-4 lb loss which came right back on.

My question for you is did they do a scope to have a look at your stoma before they did the revision?

cuttinojo
on 1/23/18 8:10 am
Revision on 04/04/18

Thanks for that post I ad my Gastric bypass in 2005 I was 289lbs went down to 160lbs kept if off for 8 yrs now I'm 269lbs my knees are killing me I joined the gym but I put so much weight back on my lower back and leg cramps hurt very bad. I even develope a numbness in my right upper thigh from this weight. so yesterday I went to see a doctor about a revision and after I met with the nutritionist she gave me some things to start doing now. The Doctor scheduled me for an EGD trans nasal on 2/14/18 to see how much of my pouch has stretched and then we will take it from there he said only then he will be able to see what is best, banding or revising my pouch. I have Cigna Insurance now and my secondary is Qualcare through my husband. when I had my initial surgery in 2005 it was with Devon, so I don't see no issue with them denying.

Mandy K.
on 2/26/17 9:00 pm - St. Louis, MO

Just for me personally, I got an endoscopy and my pouch was fine but my stoma was very enlarged.  That's what did it but I also have chronic back pain that this will help with once I start losing.  Had my overstitch revision on Fri and it feels like when I first had my RNY

jenniferdiane31
on 2/28/17 12:54 pm
RNY on 11/18/13

Mandy,

What is an overstitch revision? I have never heard of this...and that is exactly what I feel I need? They did an endoscopy and saw your stoma was enlarged and that was their solution? Was it a hard process to get insurance to cover? Is it inpatient? Were you put to sleep?Thank you so much for your response. I look forward to reading more about it.

Mandy K.
on 2/28/17 6:47 pm - St. Louis, MO

I want to to watch this video which shows you what it is, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OkJJz-1Vd0M

I researched all the revision methods but wanted the least invasive since I have had so many hernia operations.  Also I heard bad things about the band over bypass.  So I found a Dr who did this procedure and went to see if I was a candidate.  He did an X-ray where I drank that liquid and it showed that my pouch was still small but my stoma wasn't.  To make sure I was a true candidate he did an endoscopy and saw that he could help me with the overstitch and that it is the best option for me since my pouch is ok.  It took a couple of months for insurance to approve it but that was due to my file being routed to the wrong area.  

I had it this past Fri and yes I was out but went home the same day.  There are no incisions.  After you look at the video then type Apollo Overstitch Procedure in google to read more,  or look at https://www.stlouisbariatrics.com/weight-loss/overstitch-rev ision-surgery/. I hope this helps

Corn1
on 3/2/17 7:02 pm
RNY on 03/15/17

Congratulations on your revision. Please keep us informed on your progress. I am scheduled to have the overstitch in a few weeks.

Mandy K.
on 3/13/17 9:26 pm - St. Louis, MO

Thank you. Going well so far. No problems - knock on wood. Good luck to you and watch the horrid sore throat after.

Corn1
on 3/10/17 6:31 pm
RNY on 03/15/17

Hi Mandy... how are things going for you? One week out? Are you still feeling a restriction? Does the doctor have you on liquids? I'm scheduled to have mine next week and I am curious as to how others feel

Mandy K.
on 3/13/17 9:31 pm - St. Louis, MO

Oops I answered some on the other message. I'm on post-op week 3 so oatmeal, soup, puréed, cottage cheese, applesauce, mashed potatoes, yogurt, protein shakes, very well cooked veg and beans. I haven't eaten all of these things but I can. Restriction is very real and can only eat a little.

I felt very weak the first 1 1/2 weeks so take it easy.

Corn1
on 3/13/17 9:35 pm
RNY on 03/15/17
  • That is awesome news!!! Congratulations. Have you lost any weight? I'm going to try to stick with liquids
Most Active