Seeking Info re: re-sleeve or revision from sleeve to RNY

Has anyone had either of the above done? If so I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Many thanks, Lucy

Lucy van Pelt 
 Highest 255 Surgery 248 Current 170
Goal: 150

JosMcFadden
on 1/22/17 9:59 pm - Oshawa, Canada

I will be going from VSG (July 20, 2015) to RNY (Feb 13, 2017) 3 weeks tomorrow!!!! I will def post how it goes!!!!! 

Would you mind sharing how/why you're making this change? I'm wondering if my doctor will recommend this. Many thanks!

Lucy

Lucy van Pelt 

JosMcFadden
on 1/23/17 6:02 pm - Oshawa, Canada

The reason I/surgeon am/is making the decision to revise, is because I am just a little over 300lbs, I am 5"2 so I am still in class 3 Obese.. I started off with the Sleeve because of my BMI, it was 89 way to high to get RNY, I was 479lbs. It was always the plan for me to have it this way, get VSG and lose a lot of weight within 1.5 to 2 years and then revise.. having the VSG I have lost 160lbs, got my life back, I feel phenomenal. So with having a revision I will be able to get down to a normal BMI. I want to lose 119 lbs, get down to 200lbs, then have skin removal surgery! Especially my Panni, cause I already have about 30lbs-35lbs of extra skin! Are you in the U.S, Canada or somewhere else?

GmaDiana
on 1/23/17 4:45 pm

I had a revision to bypass Nov. 22,2016.My hiatal hernia failed and I had severe acid reflux issues.Since surgery I have not had any problems with reflux. Surgery takes longer because of the scar tissues.No complications.Recovery was longer.I have lost 28 lbs in almost 9 weeks.Hope this helps you.

Yes, it helps a lot. I also have a hiatal hernia and have been having increasing acid reflux, especially over the past year. We'll see what my surgeon says!  Lucy

Lucy van Pelt 

CurvyCakes
on 1/24/17 9:13 am

congrats on your success!  Was the reflux issues immediately relieved with being revised to RNY?  Was recovering pretty similar to when you had the sleeve done?  I had VSG in 2014 and in the process of being approved for RNY.  Needless to say I am scared out of my mind which is why I didn't opt for RNY in the first place but definitely want to get the burning out of my throat!  Did your doctor expect such great weight loss the second time around? 

GmaDiana
on 1/24/17 1:55 pm

Recovery was a bit rougher after the revision.More sore and slower.Yes the acid reflux was resolved quickly after the surgery.I was afraid too but really glad I did it.Dr says weight loss after revision is slower.But any weight loss is good in my book.I still have weight to lose.Joined a gym and went today for the first time.I need all the help I can get.Hope this helps.

CurvyCakes
on 1/24/17 2:02 pm

Thanks so much. 

stacyrg
on 1/27/17 1:10 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I was basically at goal when I revised to RNY, but had gained about 10-12 lbs because all I could eat were Ritz crackers . . . they were the only thing that helped my reflux.  My surgeon told me the loss would be slow and it was.  However, I've now lost all my regain and the few pounds I had left and am at goal.

Most Active