vsg to rny already lost 200lbs

asapgerard1984
on 9/30/16 6:09 pm

hey guys so the revision doctor is deciding what is the best option to fix my gerd.  I have a hiatal hernia but he thinks thats not causing it.  Two other doctors I seen today looked at my upper gi and said my sleeve was done incorrect.  The doctor doing the revision ordered a mortility test and ph test he thinks my asophagus is spasamsing or something. He told me if I get the bypass Im going to lose all my muscle and look sickley cuz the weight I'm at now.  I just dont want to suffer with gerd and acid problems anymore. HELPPPPP what should I do guys???

Mai23
on 9/30/16 7:42 pm

I think you should talk to a DS surgeon. I know for someone whose already very thin you think  that must be crazy talk. But here's why. Though GERD is more common in sleeve patients than it is people with the d.s, (d.s surgeons usually make a bigger sleeve to begin with) if people with d.s get GERD then what are they supposed to do? They can't reverse the sleeve, and converting from DS to RNY is a very complex and probably dangerous procedure. 

I joined this board a few months ago searching for a cure for my GERD (I'm a sleever like yourself). Everyone told me (including 3 local surgeons) that an RNY was my ONLY option. I didn't want the RNY and I really think it's not the surgery for me. So I've been talking with some people who do the d.s and they have some ideas that I'm going to try. It's not a sure fix like the RNY supposedly is, but I'm seeing a lot of RNYer's complain of heartburn too. 

So I suggest you start looking for alternatives, few people offer them, but they DO exist. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/16 7:17 pm
On October 1, 2016 at 2:42 AM Pacific Time, Mai23 wrote:

I think you should talk to a DS surgeon. I know for someone whose already very thin you think  that must be crazy talk. But here's why. Though GERD is more common in sleeve patients than it is people with the d.s, (d.s surgeons usually make a bigger sleeve to begin with) if people with d.s get GERD then what are they supposed to do? They can't reverse the sleeve, and converting from DS to RNY is a very complex and probably dangerous procedure. 

I joined this board a few months ago searching for a cure for my GERD (I'm a sleever like yourself). Everyone told me (including 3 local surgeons) that an RNY was my ONLY option. I didn't want the RNY and I really think it's not the surgery for me. So I've been talking with some people who do the d.s and they have some ideas that I'm going to try. It's not a sure fix like the RNY supposedly is, but I'm seeing a lot of RNYer's complain of heartburn too. 

So I suggest you start looking for alternatives, few people offer them, but they DO exist. 

since the VSG creates smaller sleeve that DS.. and they remove the rest of the stomach.. how revision to DS is going to make the sleeve part bigger? from what?   

Bypassing more intestines will not cure GERD... RNY - if they remove the pyloric would allow the acid to go directly into the small intestine - and not accumulation in the small sleeve and backing up... 

your post does not make any sense...   revising from VSG to DS to cure GERD ???? this is first time i ever hear that...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Mai23
on 10/3/16 8:12 pm, edited 10/3/16 1:13 pm

Sorry, I hope I was clear. I did NOT suggest revising to the D.S.! 

I suggested talking to primarily d.s surgeon in order to get a different perspective, because I figured they would have more options than someone who would instantly suggest RNY. I hope that makes sense. 

Anyways, I am providing a link to what I am hopefully having done in the near future. Not a lot of surgeons offer it, but I have found several that do (instead of revising to the nearly irreversible RNY). 

http://www.sages.org/meetings/annual-meeting/abstracts-archi ve/laparoscopic-repair-of-hiatal-hernia-with-dor-fundoplicat ion-after-sleeve-gastrectomy-in-a-patient-with-intractable-g erd-and-retained-gastric-body/

if the link doesn't show up, then try googling dor fundoplication and gastric sleeve. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/4/16 5:55 am

Fixinng the hernia can help with GERD. And hopefully you have enough stomach tissue left to do the DOR fundoplication. 

RNY is not the end of THE world...but I know that unless they know why someone has GERD, even RNY may not help... 

I had RNY 8+ years ago...and 10 months ago I developed severe GERD that can't be explained.   Tests showed nothing.. My doc and I suspect some unidentifiable bacteria infections, or nerve irritation, or newly developed allergy to to some food or food/drugs additive.  

I am slowly getting better... But it is a constant struggle.  I can simpatize with anyone with have GERD. 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

stacyrg
on 10/3/16 6:03 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

I revised from Sleeve to RNY on 7/1 to cure my GERD that developed after my sleeve surgery.  I was about 7 lbs from my goal weight at the time of my conversion surgery and have not lost a significant amount of weight.  My surgeon is of the opinion that if you were at or close to goal (even within 20 lbs of goal) you wouldn't lose a significant amount as a result of the conversion.  I had a body composition test and his theory is proving to be true.  While I have lost about 12 lbs, it has been fat loss.  I have not lost ANY muscle as a result of the surgery.

I would NOT consider revising to DS.  With the DS surgery you maintain your sleeve stomach, which is the cause of the GERD/Reflux in the first place.  It will NOT cure your issues.

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/3/16 7:27 pm

RNY is not the end of the world. It is much better than to have GERD and possibly getting cancer.. 

if you get RNY - you may initially lose some more weight - but withing a year  - if you follow the protein rules - and get some exercise- your muscle mass will be back hopefully without you gaining fat.. 

long term post op RNY or VSG - majority of us work hard to maintain and not gain weight...Very few people long term are "wasting away" and if they do - they are either sick with something else going on - or don't follow the RNY protein first diet -or developed eating disorder..

At the beginning of this year I dealt with severe GERD... I am still not 100% and Ia m still on PPI.. I and my group of docs - we have no idea what is  causing that...but- probably i developed a severe allergy to some common food or some additives... 

GERD is horrible. and can cause irreversible damage to esophagus, that eventually may lead to cancer...

if RNY would help with your GERD-  go for it and deal with other things later...

asapgerard1984
on 10/4/16 1:04 pm

thankyou for not just telling me no to rny 

stacyrg
on 10/5/16 3:55 pm
VSG on 05/12/14

Amen.  Although I fought conversion, I know now, it was the best decision for me.  My acid is gone.

airbender
on 10/6/16 4:03 pm

EMS testing is awful (manometry)  but I had to have it done also, since I had so many issues with gerd due to the band.  rny is a good choice for hopefully correcting that.....hope you feel better with that and congrats on your weight loss

If you have a specific question for me, PM me or I will not see it, as I don't check responses on the forums and don't have anything forwarded to my email.

Most Active