Revision from RNY

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/16 6:37 am, edited 5/15/17 6:48 am

Thanks

Anne O.
on 7/25/16 7:53 am, edited 7/25/16 12:53 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

A RNY revision to RNY? I don't understand. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/16 7:56 am
AngelicMythology
on 8/4/16 12:59 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

Different channel lengths, depending on how much intestines are bypass.  Traditionally, the Proximal RNY is the standard.  There's also a medial and distal gastric bypass, too.  All depends on how much intestines are bypassed.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

JackieBel
on 7/25/16 8:25 am, edited 7/25/16 1:26 am - McAllen, TX

Dr. Felix Spiegel does revision surgeries.  He does the distal bypass for revisions from RNY.  I met with him last week and have an endoscopy scheduled this Friday.  I'm still unsure of going through with the surgery; however, I'm interested to see the pictures and read the report from the endoscopy.  He's located off of W. Alabama in the Galleria area. 

hollykim
on 7/25/16 8:29 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 25, 2016 at 1:37 PM Pacific Time, take22016 wrote:

I had RNY done January 2002. I was at a pre-op weight of 404lbs. I lost all the way down to 280 within the 1st year. After surgery I went back and saw my surgeon 3 times that year and that was it. So here we are 14 years later and I am back up to 335lbs. I take full responsibility for the weight regain...Everyday that goes by I notice my blood pressure going up, I am noticing everyday the acid reflux, the snoring at night has come back. I always remembered the surgeon telling me that once I had this done that there would never be another chance to lose the amount of weight I would lose, the surgeon didn't have any classes on what to expect, there was no counseling, I went to an appt, he showed me what looked like a medicine dispenser and told me that is what my new stomach would look like and would only be able to hold that much food. The nurse told me I would be a skinny minny in 6 months. That was it. Now I am seeing that perhaps there could be help for me? Could I really have a revision to an RNY? I have atena insurance, PPO. I am now 41, almost 42, and I would love a 2nd chance. I feel so humiliated that I am even having to ask for a 2nd chance. Anyways, I live in Houston, Does anyone know of any surgeons in The Woodlands or Houston area that can do these types of surgeries?

Thanks 

first, you need to make sure your insurance covers revisions. Many plans only allow one wls per lifetime. 

Second, you need tests to see if there is anything wrong with you RNY. Idf it is intact, you should be able to get back to eating correctly and lose again.

An RNY revision is a very complicated surgery. There are really only a few surgeons in the whole US that are qualified to do it.

(deactivated member)
on 7/25/16 8:36 am

Thanks..Although I no longer have the original insurance that paid for the 1st rny. It is now Aetna PPO.

Aliceanne3
on 7/26/16 7:34 am - MO

I am in the process of having my RNY revised. There are many more hoops than the first time.  Maybe that's good.  My surgeon did tell me the weight loss is slower with a revision.  I know it is hard to be in this place again.

Hopefully things will come together for you.

(deactivated member)
on 7/26/16 7:36 am
vcrezee
on 8/7/16 6:04 pm - Roy, UT

Hi!  I had the proximal RNY done with an 130 lb weight loss in the first year but could never ever get past that.  No matter how much I dieted and exercised or followed the rules..I could never get below 290!  After having a consult and imaging done I was told that I should have gotten a DS to begin with because I have hormonal problems that make weight loss difficult.  I was told I was a great candidate for a revision from RNY to DS because I have almost no co-morbidities and I'm only 29.  However, my insurance did not cover the revision and the surgery is almost $30k without taking in mind after care and monthly vitamins.  I decided to go back to Mexico (where I got my original surgery) to go to one of the only vetted revision surgeons in Mexico, Alejandro Lopez.  This is a VERY complicated surgery.  They have to basically undo your entire RNY and make it into a DS.  I would recommend the surgery but do your research and go through a vetted surgeon :)

2013 Gastric Bypass RNY by Dr. Gomez 

OW: 430 LW: 290 CW: 320 GW: 180

2016 Scheduled revision from RNY to DS by Dr. Alejandro Lopez 

Married, momma, MLS student, and Harry Potter nut! PCOS and RA warrior! 

Contact me about any questions or suggestions for having surgery in Mexico! 

Most Active