Which bypass did I have?

candlelite2000
on 6/2/16 5:54 pm

Hi, I would like to know which bypass did I have. There is a double line of staples separating a part of my stomach not being used, the opening to the intestines move to slow down the opening. It was done in Milwaukee, WI in June of 79. I have had problems for the last 37 years. I did not have any follow up after the surgery. I really want to know what can be done to have a better life. I have been so run down physically. My mom who is 80 has more energy than me. Where can I find help?

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/3/16 4:19 am

From the very simple description - you may have the original RNY, where they did not separate the pouch from the whole stomach, or some other procedure... 

The only way to know for sure - you may need to to find a good bariatric surgeon in your area.  Get testing done to determine what is going on ..

As so being run down - to you get regular blood work done - detailed blood work. 

Low energy can be caused by so many things - low iron, low ferritin, low proteins, low B12, Bq, D, etc etc... Please find a good doc and get tested..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

L. 68
on 6/3/16 8:34 am
On June 3, 2016 at 12:54 AM Pacific Time, candlelite2000 wrote:

Hi, I would like to know which bypass did I have. There is a double line of staples separating a part of my stomach not being used, the opening to the intestines move to slow down the opening. It was done in Milwaukee, WI in June of 79. I have had problems for the last 37 years. I did not have any follow up after the surgery. I really want to know what can be done to have a better life. I have been so run down physically. My mom who is 80 has more energy than me. Where can I find help?

JUNE OF 79??  Are you serious?  What brings you back here 37 years later?  I really want to know why would you wait so long in misery omg  yes you had surgery in 79  what ever it was but have you not gone to the doctors in 37 years also i feel there is so much more information missing  but in the mean time go find yourself a good bariatric surgeon and explain them what is going on get all the test and xrays barium swallow blood work and take it from there.  

Good Luck

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

White Dove
on 6/3/16 11:38 am - Warren, OH

37 years ago there was no follow up care.  You had surgery and went home.  There were no support groups, no follow-up blood work, no trips back to the surgeon.

Getting good care now should help.  Start with blood work and supplement with the vitamins and minerals to correct deficiencies.  Start exercising.  The only way to get more energy is to make your body burn energy.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathyjs
on 6/3/16 6:23 pm

37 years ago it wasn't called bypass it was simply called stomach stapling. See a dr

Nanci H.
on 6/9/16 5:58 pm - Sacramento, CA

Gosh everyone, be nicer to this person! Don't forget the pioneers who went before us and had no support. My sister was one of them, having had surgery in the 90's. She had NO ONE except online support. I am grateful we have so much more knowledge now.

Nic M
on 6/11/16 9:17 am

I hope you can find a good bariatric surgeon... or even just a good general surgeon... who can help you to feel better. Maybe try googling surgeons in your area and read the reviews. You want a skilled surgeon in case you need some sort of revision surgery. You most likely need a complete battery of tests to find out what is causing you to feel so run down. Best of luck to you. I hope you can feel better really soon. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/16 2:36 pm

I agree, it sounds like you had the old stomach stapling procedure.

I'm going to give you a link that might help, I'll send it via PM.

Most Active