Rapid weight gain after fluid taken out of band

GuyMontag
on 6/1/16 12:18 pm
When I first got my band I was 325lbs.  Up until about 280lbs I hadn't really felt that bad and considered myself a 'healthy' fat person.  As I got closer to 300-325 I started feeling worse.  I got banded, lost 127lbs and stayed happily between 200-225lbs for about five years.  However, I had constant reflux and heartburn from the band.  About a year ago I finally had enough and had some fluid taken out of my band.  Holy crap did I gain weight fast!!!  I went from 213 to 293 in less than a year and felt miserable.  Gaining weight at the rate of 10lbs per year allows your body to adjust and get used to it but gaining 80lbs quickly made me feel like I was trapped in a fat suit and couldn't get out.  I'm now having revision surgery next week on Tuesday, June 7th and I cannot wait!  I'm so excited.  I just wanted to share a brief synopsis of my journey and encourage anyone out there that is unhappy with their chosen weight loss surgery to never give up!
Steven354
on 6/1/16 11:51 pm

Are you doing rny bypass or sleeve?

GuyMontag
on 6/2/16 2:19 pm

I'm having the sleeve.

vlmilton
on 6/10/16 3:20 pm

Im going to a seminar this month for removal of the lap band and getting a sleeve. Im nervous and excited. hope its the right choice.

Steven354
on 6/1/16 11:52 pm
KDay78
on 6/2/16 11:02 am - Philly Girl In the Sunshine State, FL

Hi Guy. Im also a fellow bander that has gained all the weight back after having my band emptied. Im down starting the process of revision and leaning towards the sleeve. What revision did you decide to get?

GuyMontag
on 6/2/16 2:20 pm

I'm getting the VSG.  I'm in FL too btw :D

L. 68
on 6/3/16 8:41 am
On June 2, 2016 at 9:20 PM Pacific Time, GuyMontag wrote:

I'm getting the VSG.  I'm in FL too btw :D

GuyGuyHey Guy!  Congratulations on your revision next week and speedy recovery.  i was just sleeved May 24 and it was a revision from band and very similiar story to yours.  banded in 2006 251 to 177 lowest weight started having problems reflux gerd slip ect ect about 7 years later unfilled band completely started gaining rapidly removed band gain all the rest of the weight by my surgery date.  smh started at 250 again today 241.4  im on a roll ...  I know you are excited and i am happy that you didnt get discouraged and not do anything about it at all.  

again speedy recovery to you 

"Your not a failure if you fall your a failure if you fall and don't get up"

" Beauty is Pain"

BelleKreyol
on 6/5/16 8:03 am
VSG on 08/04/16

Wow!  Although it appears like I am new to the board, I am an old banster.  Congrats on the upcoming surgery.  I am definitely inspired by your stories.  I was banded in 2008, lost 83lbs.  I had a baby and think that's where my band may have slipped.  Anyhow, I have gained some weight over the last two years as a result of my pregnancy.  But my band has slipped with a moderate dilatation.  I have to get my band removed, and I am thinking of the sleeve.  So, thanks for sharing your story.  I still have a long way to go while figuring out if i will be self-pay or getting an insurance plan that will cover it.

Best,

Belle

Most Active