Gastric Bypass to ERNY, Revision of ERNY

QBB
on 3/16/16 6:02 am - MD

OMG! thank you SO much this is so helful!

jrolfson2000
on 6/27/17 7:35 am

I had the ERNY in May of 2009 after having a Stomach Stapling and then a revision to RNY. I had some rough times with what I ate, bathroom issues, vitamin issues. I started out at about 225 and I weigh 139 as of this morning. Which worries me because I've been about 133 for about 5 years now and I've started to get some constipation which is extremely different since I've had loose stools for 8 years now. I've been told that eventually the intestines will amazingly adapt and that you will begin to absorb fat again. And it's important to know that with this procedure it is fat you don't absorb not carbs. They say about 20 % of what you eat in fat is absorbed the rest is not. This procedure is not good for the patient who eats a ton of carbs as you will absorb them all as normal.

This procedure wreaks havoc on your system such as you will end up with Osteoporosis, because calcium will not be absorbed properly, kidney stones, I've had to have 5 lithotripsies due to kidney stones.

I'm just worried that now that my body seems to have adapted, I will begin gaining huge sums of weight again. My bowel systems have changed in the last few months, I've noticed weight gain, hardly any gas or stomach pain anymore or loose stools, no oily stools. One thing you can see is pure oil in the toilet after going the bathroom which is the fat you don't absorb. This doesn't seem to be happening anymore.

People should be very careful about having this procedure, as having done it, I've been through a lot. Sounds like Mama has too. Never have been put in the hospital because I was able to manage my vitamins pretty well. But the potty issues really have an affect on your family after years of some not so pleasant issues from this surgery.

I believe my common channel was about 75-90, however, I really don't know for sure the Dr. who did my surgery actually lied about what I was having so that I could have the procedure covered under my insurance. He wrote on my paperwork that I was having a hernia/bowel obstruction surgery. But in actuality he gave me a ERNY and he could never exactly tell me what my common channel measured out to. My experience from friends I know who had this...Every single one had a revision to Duodenal Switch. I believe I'm the only who never had a revision from ERNY....I'm hoping I don't end up with huge problems down the road. But it is most like evident that I will.

Most Active