Possible sleeve revision due to reflux and pain, in Ohio

angiegettingfit
on 2/28/16 4:41 am
VSG on 02/03/14

Hi, I'm new to this board, so bear with me as I figure out how this works :)

I had the sleeve in 2014 and after regain, and now acid reflux and stomach pain I have a bariatric consult tomorrow. I'm nervous and kind of freaking out as I NEVER forsaw myself back in this boat again. I'm wondering who on here has had a revision of their sleeve for reflux and pain and did you revise to Rou en Y? or something else? Did it fix your problems or just cause more? 

I'm soooo worried that having another surgery is just going to add to my strife and not actually solve anything, I guess I'm just looking for some insight and support....be gentle :)

Thanks

Angie

cajunlady1958
on 2/28/16 5:51 pm - Broussard, LA
Revision on 12/30/15
I just had my revision from sleeve to RNY on 12/30/15 for the same reason. I wish I had known and I would have just gone with the RNY first time. But I have not had any acid reflux, gerd, or heartburn since surgery, for that I am extremely grateful for my surgeon.

You survived what you thought would kill you. Now straighten your crown and go forward like the Queen you are!

angiegettingfit
on 3/15/16 4:42 am
VSG on 02/03/14

That is so encouraging, thank you for sharing!! Good luck on your new journey :)

CJ2pt0
on 2/28/16 7:44 pm

Hi Angie,

im actually in the same place as you...including the nerves (smile).  I started the "restart" process about six months ago and have hit some high-highs and low-lows but through it all I focused on the long term good in it all.  This site has been AMAZING.  People are very open and honest.  In the end I've only ran across a couple of people that had regrets.  I'm just grateful for this second chance.  

My surgery is scheduled for 9 Mar...I will definitely let you know how it goes.

CJ

angiegettingfit
on 3/8/16 4:26 am
VSG on 02/03/14

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to me, I appreciate it!!

I will pray for you tomorrow and be excited to hear how things are going. What state are you in?

Good Luck!!

angiegettingfit
on 3/17/16 4:48 am
VSG on 02/03/14

Just checking in on you, how are you doing since your surgery?

Ladytazz
on 3/1/16 10:39 pm

I had surgery in 2002 and at that time the sleeve wasn't being done as a stand alone procedure, it was part of the DS.

After 8 years of issues and complications I was revised to a RNY sleeve.  One of my issues was severe reflux.  I took several PPI's a day and still woke up choking on acid.

Since my revision (and the 3 month post op period that my surgeon keeps all patients on PPI's) I haven't had a problem since.  Reflux is but a distant but bad memory.

Back in 2002 it wasn't known about the sleeve causing those issues or I am sure I would have been directed against it as I have had reflux issues for years.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

angiegettingfit
on 3/8/16 4:23 am
VSG on 02/03/14

Thank you for sharing with me, I really appreciate it!! I had my sleeve done in Missouri and I feel like that state is still "behind the times" I just spoke to my MO surgeon and told her that I'm being directed in Ohio to revise and she was appalled, she just simply refuses to revise but she also nearly killed me during the sleeve. Ugh. Anyway. Thank you for sharing!!

band07sleeve13
on 3/7/16 12:14 pm

I'm from Ohio too!  I'm a third timer actually.  I had band, did great!  Loved my band, revised to sleeve and gained 30lbs, it was made large due to scar tissue and stretched easily.  Last April I revised from sleeve to MGB and now I'm 8lbs from goal and doing great! 

angiegettingfit
on 3/8/16 4:18 am
VSG on 02/03/14

That's incredible!! Congrats.....did you revise in Ohio? Do you mind if I ask where you went? doctor? town?

I'm working with Dr. Schumacher of Kettering Bariatrics in Dayton. Have you heard of him? I'm new to Ohio. I have an EGD on March 24 and I'm still waivering on what I want to do, I'm terrified to have another surgery as my sleeve surgery nearly killed me!  ugh

Most Active