Trouble with weight loss after sleeve surgery

renewme
on 1/15/16 9:57 am
VSG on 01/23/14

Thank you for the motivation.  I was able to contact a doctor that does revisions.  The good news is that they will see me, the bad news is that they informed me that revisions are normally only covered by insurance if there are complications which do not include weight gain.  I really don't know how to approach this with the insurance company other then writing a letter of my experience with my doctor and hoping that I may get some kind of lead way. Any advice on dealing with insurance?  I have BCBS.  I appreciate any help.  

Baby1234
on 1/17/16 7:18 pm

See what they have to say...have you developed Acid reflux???

You gotta complain like hell.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/15/16 4:11 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14

I'm sorry that your Dr is cutting all ties to you & just knows that you stretched out your sleeve. I'd suggest that in addition to finding a new Dr, to find a therapist as well & get to the root of your eating. Definitely check that your insurance will even cover revisions, usually unless there was some kind of complication or a mechanical failure of the sleeve they won't pay & you'll have to pay out of pocket. 

However by your post it seems like your sleeve is working normally but you stalled out, which is normal & common, but probably at that time is when you needed to see your Dr & re examine your eating. It isn't too late, you can still jump on the wagon again while you figure out if the revision is what you need & which one you want.

Usually for me whenever the scale hadn't moved in awhile I look back at what I was eating & I did have to adjust the numbers on the way down. Calories had to go down, not up, in spite of what your nutritionist suggested. Most times they go by normal sized people not wls patients when it comes to dispensing advice.

I do hope you find what's best for you. Good Luck! 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

BKimball29
on 1/16/16 12:59 pm
VSG on 02/16/12

I feel for you dear. I had the sleeve three years ago. I do consider it a success as I lost over 200 pounds. I had a miracle baby in July of this year and gained forty pounds. However, prebaby I kept gaining every week massive amounts! I'm talking eight to nine pounds. Sometimes I wouldn't gain but stall and then the next week be up another three pounds. I was at the gym two hours five days a week working harder than ever before. I met with dietician after dietician and was told I was on point. I began to panic. I tried everything I could think of that might help- carb cycling, pouch test, juice cleanse, etc-nothing helped. I found out I had PCOS due to some issues including large cysts on my ovaries. Amazingly, I got pregnant despite PCOS and birth control. I was planning on revising before baby but obviously had to stop the process. Now that I am six months postpartum I am allowed to undergo bypass. I would love to do the DS since that makes the most since but only 2 surgeons here do that surgery and they do not accept my insurance. People think we lie about what we eat and how hard we try to work it off when this happens post surgery. Those people haven't been through it though so they could never understand. I have found that there are a select few that sadly go through this despite following the plan and working hard. I am hoping that the bypass will be a strong enough tool that will help get me to goal. Hopefully by that point there will be more treatment options for pcos. Metformin did not work for me as I have naturally low blood sugar. So far that is the only real treatment for it that has shown to help with the weight gain -for a small group of women- associated with pcos. Anyway, it's real and it sucks.

Baby1234
on 1/17/16 7:20 pm

I have PCOS...just had bypass on Dec 28 2015.I no longer take metformin...I am losing...but I am in beginning phase.

Baby1234
on 1/17/16 7:16 pm

You need a new doctor...for sure ...see a new surgeon .Look for one that is experienced and affiliated with a hospital that is considered a bariatric center of excellence.You may need a revision to DS or bypass...

Steph Meat Hag
on 1/19/16 1:12 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

So your doctor isn't playing very nice and we know what to do with people who don't play nice.  Take your ball and go elsewhere.  First thing is find a new doctor that preforms the type of revision your looking for.  Next call your insurance and talk to them about the options and qualifications they have.  You do not need to tell them anything, remember that because it's not your job to "sell" them that's your doctor's office job.  No need to babble on and on and have someone record information which may not be medically accurate because it's your feelings.

When you visit with your doctor and talk with him/her about the issues you are or are not having.  They will determine what should be submitted to the insurance.  Now when it all comes down to it your doctor's office knows the common things that gets approvals.  The person who submits your paperwork should be able to help you understand what it'll take to get an approval and they will submit their best option for you.  Hopefully your insurance company is willing to do what the doctor would like to do and you'll be on your way.  If not then ask about the self pay options, I've found that most offices will even do payment plans and so on.  

Don't give up hope.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active