Trouble with weight loss after sleeve surgery

renewme
on 1/14/16 1:25 pm
VSG on 01/23/14

Hello,

I'm just looking for advice I had sleeve surgery on 1/23/2014, I lost 35 pounds before surgery and 40 pounds total post surgery.  I plateaued for over 5 months and got discouraged.  I have since gained all of the weight back to my pre surgery weight. My doctor told me today that she is cutting ties with me and she does not believe in revisions.  She would not do a scope to check things out because she "knows" that I have stretched my pouch.  I was told that I should not have given up, even though I kept going back for help as well as submitting my food entries to the nutritionist.  In fact I was told that I should get a life coach. I have exercised and was even up to jogging 2 miles a day.  I have lower back problems which make it difficult to exercise.  My insurance has told me revisions are on a case by case basis depending on what the doctor submits.  In the beginning I always understood that the sleeve was part of a 2 surgery process. I am now at the point where I am going to try to seek out a new doctor which I know would be difficult since they don't like to touch the work of others.  Has anyone else had such a lack of success with the sleeve?   

Hislady
on 1/14/16 4:00 pm - Vancouver, WA

Most people do quite well with the sleeve as long as they follow a few basic rules. Keep calories between 600-800 during weight loss phase, eat protein first and a few veggies, keep carbs low under 50 grams and even better if you can get closer to 20 a day. Walking should be good for exercise, diet impacts weight loss more than exercise does. You have to be willing to ride out the stalls and plateaus and it will take time it won't just fall off just because you have had surgery. I know many who have lost 100-200 lbs but it takes patience and time.

If you are interested in the second half of the surgery it is called a duodenal switch but you have to take mega doses of vitamins and stay away from carbs pretty much all together with that surgery so if you couldn't handle the VSG it will be even more difficult to handle the DS.

sfayad
on 1/14/16 10:29 pm - Canada

Welcome to the forum. 

I must say your story is puzzling as I'm not sure what went wrong with your sleeve surgery. You don't say how your operation was a failure. VSG are very very successful and a lot of people loss an enormous amount of weight especially in the first 6 months and to have a plateau for 5 months is extremely puzzling. 

Were you compliant with your diet. Or did you eat the wrong foods. That is very easy to do and in a lot of cases it's too late before you realize what went wrong. 

Also when you seen you were in a plateau why did you not consult your medical team and dietician. Rather than to wait 5 months. 

Im also very surprised that your dr. Has cut ties with you. What was her reason and did she think you were not compliant. 

You can't fix what you don't acknowledge and address what your issues are. 

I would think you dr. Would help not send you away. 

Also rarely is a sleeve a 2 part operation. A sleeve can work as well and at time better that an RNY for patients. 

I know tons of people with sleeves that were a great success 

I hope you follow up with us. 

Im sure there is a way to help 

Simon

sheriberi29
on 1/15/16 5:49 am - Cleveland, TN

I'm thinking of revising from failed band to sleeve but I curious what he meant by " knowing the sleeve was part of a 2 part surgery " 

can anyone explain why 

renewme
on 1/15/16 6:34 am
VSG on 01/23/14

Back in the day I read that the sleeve was developed for those who were so overweight that Roux-en-Y would create to much stress on their body so the sleeve was used to help get the weight down prior to doing the more invasive Roux-en-Y surgery. 

emelar
on 1/15/16 9:16 am - TX

The duodenal switch (DS) is a combination of a sleeved stomach and re-routed innards.  The surgery is sometimes performed in two stages, the sleeve first and the re-routing later.  It's the most successful in terms of weight loss, but also the most exacting in terms of supplementation.  It's also the most complicated to perform.

However, if revising a sleeve (for any reason other than GERD), the DS is probably the way to go.

renewme
on 1/15/16 6:31 am
VSG on 01/23/14

Thank you for your advice.  I followed up constantly with my doctor as well as the Nutritionist.  I was told many things starting with I was not eating enough calories, to then I needed to scale back and then I needed to switch to a plant based diet.  I followed all instructions.  I went back month after month prior to me getting discouraged.  I've went back and tracked my weight loss, I only lost 2 pounds in my first 2 weeks after surgery.  I couldn't even eat during that time frame after surgery.  I believe my doctor thinks that I am not being honest which I AM.  I even brought letters from people that have witnessed my efforts. 

sheriberi29
on 1/15/16 7:03 am - Cleveland, TN

I am so very sorry to hear about your struggle . I understand your frustration about not having a dr listen and believe you. I do not have experience with a sleeve, I'm currently banded now for 6.5 years and am going for a revision . But I just want you to know I understand how helpless and frustrated you must feel . Please keep us updated as we are here to all support each other and everyone's struggle is different. I wonder if you can find another surgeon ? 

renewme
on 1/15/16 7:36 am
VSG on 01/23/14

Thank you so much.  I am actually going to look into contacting other doctors.  I have been told that most are not willing to touch others work however I have also been told that my specific doctor does have a reputation amongst others in my area.  I don't know what insurance would cover either.  I was told one surgery per lifetime however they do allow revisions on a case by case basis. I am determined so I plan on working hard at this. The good thing is that I do have the support of my co-workers who have witnessed my hard work as well as my boyfriend that feels like he is in this with me.  These are people that see what I do on a day to day basis and I know would not support me if they witnessed me with a lack of effort.  The doctor does not believe me but they do because of what they see.

Lessofmein2016
on 1/15/16 8:45 am
Revision on 02/15/16

Dear renewme,    I would not give up... start with a NEW DOCTOR.. and go from there.  There  are a lot of good ones out there.  I had the band in 2007,   and the sleeve in 2011.   I did better on the Band than the sleeve,  took more weight off, and kept it off.  but than plateaued and wanted to be the person who lost 90lbs...   So I called a doctor who was very popular Doc in my area,  figured he knew how to get my ins to pay for the Gastric bypass...  Well his Nurse decided "i was not worth seeing".    I than wrote a letter to my surgeon,  who I liked very much,  but he does not do Gastric bypass.   He wrote back and sent me to his partner...who asked that I see his nutritionist 3 visits than see him,  I had to do the pyst visit, and it took me three months but I now have a date for Gastric bypass..   Don't give up.    good luck

LESSOFMEIN2016

Most Active