Roux En Y to BPD/DS

4jsmom
on 11/16/15 6:29 pm

I had  RNY in 2007, I  have regained 55lbs after  being out of  works on medical leave for  2 years. I did not reach my goal weight so I consulted my surgeon and  I  am considering the same surgery. I a just waiting for approval. Good Luck to you on your journey.

jason_said
on 11/17/15 4:17 am

Thank you and good luck to you as well

Shotrod64
on 11/26/15 3:42 pm - Spanaway, WA
I had the sleeve in 2008 and lost about 60lbs then gained it all back. I am wanting a DS as all the research I've done seems to fit what I would need and I don't want to do this again. I did have a surgery apt for distal rny but there was an emergency in surgery for someone that came in so was put in a room at about 5pm. Then I layed there thinking what am I doing here, I don't want this surgery, why didn't I change surgeons and get a second opinion, or rather 3rd. The first surgeon I saw was just filling in for mine as he was gone for a while and he said I should have DS. My official one said no RNY because I have acid reflux. This one also did my sleeve and I had AR before then and it has not gotten any worse but couldn't convince him. So by 1am I told them I wanted to go home. They were supposedly going to do surgery at midnight then that passed and when I said I am ready to go home it was going to be 2am. By then i'd laid there with my thoughts, became paranoid and thinking 2am? I don't want anyone that's been up all day doing surgery on me that late. So now I have an apt with a different surgeon. I have nothing against my surgeon that night, it wasn't his fault he was delayed and thankful he was still trying to catch up and not canceling as some people their surgeons canceled theirs, the emergency was an all hands on deck event that day and life or death.

I took this whole event as a sign and actually thankful it was delayed as it gave me the opportunity to change surgeons and get a second opinion so that I don't wish I had done so after the fact. When I got the sleeve I chickened out of getting the RNY and kicked myself ever since. But this time after laying in a bed half the night thankfully, I get to get another opinion and if it's still a distal RNY, I can live with it because I did go back and ask again.

Btw, the sleeve was new for us when I got mine and was the only one to start with in support that had it. Now the DS has been around a few years and so hoping to do this one which believe it or not I asked for in 2008 but they really weren't doing it much at all back then.

Good luck with your surgery also!!

hipswishingvinegarball
on 11/29/15 3:43 pm
hipswishingvinegarball
on 11/29/15 3:44 pm

Go****hink you've dodged a bullet twice. The RNY and sleeve have about the same stats at 5 years out, but the sleeve doesn't have the huge increase of issues like dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, or stomal ulcers. You can also take NSAIDs like a normie too. 

If I'm going to deal with malabsorption and taking supplements/tracking labs, then I want the more effective surgery, which is DS, not RNY. DS aslo does not share the above mentioned issues of the RNY, and you already have the first part. I'm not sure I believe in divine intervention, but you must have someone looking out for you!

Shotrod64
on 12/2/15 7:26 pm - Spanaway, WA
I saw a different surgeon today and the DS is on!!! He, unlike the other seemed to be, a big fan of the DS and thinks it's a great surgery and more effective in the long run and especially for those that failed a previous type. He said he checked out the endoscopy report and said it's normal and in line with where it should be also so he doesn't think he will be messing with it. He did say he 'might' if once in there he thinks it might need a little tweaking. But since the first half is done he said it should be a smooth surgery. Surgery is the 18th. Woohooo! I was ready to do a little dance right there!
MsBatt
on 12/1/15 3:46 pm

The first DS was done in 1988---almost 30 years ago. I had mine in 2003. At that tiime, there were only about 50 doctors in the WORLD who offered the DS! I'm so glad the number of DS surgeons is growing.

Shotrod64
on 12/2/15 7:20 pm - Spanaway, WA
When I got mine the hospital I went to hadn't been doing them that long and it was just ending the lapband I believe. Like the DS it has been a round a while but they weren't doing them full speed til like 2010. I'm happy to see it also!

Most Active