was not prepared for this dumping

SmallerKenah
on 9/29/15 1:04 pm
VSG on 02/14/12

I had my revision done Sept 18. I am on protein shakes only now. My protein shakes make me dump. I feel like pure ****! I am using Bariatric fusion shakes, but no longer can. Any suggestions for other protein shakes to try? 

Cheddar555
on 9/29/15 7:16 pm - Cedar Hill, TX

O had mine done on the 17th of September. Premier protein has worked well with me so far. No dumping yet.

cher22
on 9/29/15 11:47 pm - Oak Park, IL

My fave is Sun Warrior Vanilla !

MsBatt
on 9/30/15 3:25 am

Are you mixing your shakes with milk, or water? Lactose intolerance is not uncommon with the RNY.

HKT53
on 10/2/15 10:16 am - Toronto, Canada

I was having a lot of problems with various protein shakes. Check the labels if you think you are lactose intolerant.

The Whey Protein Institute agrees, stating that whey isolate powders have little or no lactose, but they do encourage consumers who are lactose-intolerant to read supplement ingredient labels completely and contact manufacturers before using isolates if there is any doubt about how much lactose they may contain.

Thankfully I am now 12 weeks out and have replaced protein shakes for protein source from food. I am able to get my proteins from meats and beans. I am also good with VEGA protein powder and mix with my yogurt in the morning and coffee and soups in the afternoon. I also use lactose free Almond Breeze for a bit fuller taste. Oddly I cannot digest cottage cheese or Ricotta but I am OK with greek yogurt.

I hear from my NUT that after revision some weeks shakes not doing well and then some weeks you can. So try VEGA protein and see if that works for you. Find protein2o water that contains 15 g of protein each bottle. Then in a about 3 days try a little protein shake again and see if you are doing OK with in.

I also learned that a few cramps and diarrhea is not necessarily dumping - its a digestive problem. I stupidly had a dumping session a couple of weeks ago over sweet icing on a piece of cake. Oh believe me - dumping is far worse. Like roll over on the floor, vomitting and dizzy. Please do not experiment just yet. Follow the plan for the first two to three months.

Referral - Feb/14, Orientation HRRH - September/14, Surgeon appt. & gastroscopy Dr. Hagen - October/14, Trio appts. - April/15, Dr. Glazer - April/15, Revision RNY - July 10, 2015

Hislady
on 10/2/15 9:51 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sounds more like lactose intolerence try using either lactaid milk or lactaid chewables before you drink the shakes and you should do much better.

Marble
on 10/13/15 1:41 pm

I ordered the whey protein shakes because two weeks out I am having severe cramps and diarrhea. I use only Lactaid. Problem is they are extremely low calorie and my dr wants me to shoot for 900 calories and I just cannot do it. At least I am no longer hungry all the time.

Marble
on 10/13/15 1:37 pm

My sympathies as I had mine done two weeks ago and I am dumping out of control. My doc is insistent on 7 weeks on shakes. I did have dumping syndrone prior to the repair. I have tried Ensure high protein, Spiritutein and Atkins. Let us know how it goes if you switch shakes.

cmcelfish
on 11/7/15 1:26 pm

I have not had my surgery yet but the dietitians suggested. Primers  at Walmart Costco I seennit today at CVS. She suggest it because it only has 1g. Of suger and suger they say causes dumping.

Most Active