lap band removal complications

magpye
on 9/14/15 7:12 am

Hi All,

It has been one month since my lap band was removed due to an erosion.  Four days after my lap band was removed, I developed an infection at 2 of the incision sites.  Now, a month later, I am dealing with a wound vac and more potential abdominal abscesses.  I am so frustrated and feeling a little helpless.  I am waiting on a CT scan of my abdomen to verify any more pockets of infection.  Has anyone else dealt with this?  Thanks!

Lisa09
on 9/15/15 5:11 pm - NH

I haven't dealt with this, but I wanted to offer my support. I'm sorry you're going through this and hope you will be fully healed soon.

HW: 280 SW: 270. CW: 190. Goal: 140

Lap Band: 10/2007 Insurance Approval: 10/19/15 Revision to RNY: 11/2/15

Preop -10 M1 -26  M2 -19  M3 -10  M4 -11  M5 -3  M5  -4  M6 .. Too tired to do the math, but slow

Nic M
on 9/16/15 9:55 am

I'm terribly sorry you're going through this. I seem to remember someone on the lapband board going through something similar a while ago. You may consider posting on that forum to see if anyone has advice for you, as well. 

Wishing you the best in your recuperation. I hope you feel better soon. 

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

nininn
on 9/22/15 8:59 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

I didn't but just want to tell you to hang in there!!  Having it out and the repair itself was tough on me (and I had  1yr old) I can't imagine how tough that is for you.   Hoping that all heals quickly.  

"slow and steady wins the race..."

magpye
on 9/24/15 10:30 am

thank you for the support!  I am getting through it.  The crazy thing is, the lap band was being removed for the erosion AND so I could have gastric bypass after it healed.  The bypass has been moved out to November, but I have to tell you all, I am so nervous about it!!  I keep thinking about all the complications that can happen, plus some in my support system are wondering why the heck would I open myself up to more complications.  It's taking me back to not really trusting myself and having to explain to people that a bypass is not a quick fix because I am too lazy to lose weight the traditional way.  Of course, all I keep hearing about is the complications while in the waiting room of the surgeons office!  To those who have had complications, what kept and keeps you going?

THANK YOU!!!!

nininn
on 9/24/15 6:11 pm - RI
RNY on 11/02/15

Mine is November 2nd and I am going through the SAME thing!   My family and husbands family think I am nuts  because of all the band issues and then the erosion.  I am scared because I have a lot more to lose this time..I have an almost 4 yr old.  She is the main reason for me doing this though because I need to get healthy for her. Did you get your surgery date yet?

"slow and steady wins the race..."

Kerry B.
on 9/28/15 4:54 pm

I had my band less than 6 months and my port became infected and had to be replaced. Two and half years later the band had to be removed due to erosion. I ended up in the hospital a week with a drain because of infection. I  developed another pocket of infection and an abscessed area that final healed up with silver nitrate. After the infection healed I had  have my esophagus dilated  three times because of mega esophagus. Now a year and a half later I'm experiencing problems again. This time is because the motility is gone in my stomach. Dr suspects Vagus Nerve damage from the band. 

I hope your problems don't continue and you end up with a full recovery. I'm beginning to wonder if my issues will ever end.  Take Care. 

Nic M
on 9/30/15 9:33 am

I am so sorry to hear this, Kerry. I, too, have some pretty severe Vagus nerve damage from the band. I feel for you. What kind of symptoms are you experiencing, if you feel like sharing? 

Best to you,

Nic

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

moviemum
on 10/7/15 2:56 pm

Oh boy. Having my band removed Monday and a bypass scheduled. Really nervous about it and the recovery. sometimes I think we are all nuts!

I had a good 4 years with the band but ... slipped.

Yikes

BluCat
on 1/24/18 10:03 am

I am going through the exact same thing. I started having extreme pain at my port site. I had the band for 12 years and only got it so when I got older and weight was harder to lose I would have it. Over the 12 years I had it filled in the first 3 years several times but no fills for the last 6+ years for sure. One day out of the blue the pain under and around my port site flared up and after a several short hospitalizations and ER visits an ER doctor found my original surgeon and scheduled me for removal the next day.. I am a wound care nurse myself so the surgeon promised me many pictures that I could have when I woke up. When he got in there it was much worse than he expected and guess what. No pictures. Imagine that. I stayed less than 24hours in the hospital which I had to pay cash to the doctor, hospital, and anesthesiologist before he would do the surgery. Less than 19hours after discharge I was septic. I had just started a new job and for the first time in my life I had no insurance. This all took place in September 2017. I had my husband rush me to a closer hospital but same affiliation as the one I had the surgery at. They sent my by ambulance to their Dallas location with a surgeon waiting to do a wash out of the infection. I was severely malnourished and had a hemoglobin level that actually required 2 pints of blood but wasn't given the blood at any of the hospitals I went to. I spent a week in Dallas. A month later had another abscess burst. Surgeon refused to acknowledge. I'm sure due to no insurance. I knew I needed a wound vac but I couldn't work and I couldn't afford $100.00 a day for one so I was doing my own wound care treatment and the healing process was so slow. New Year's Eve 2018 woke up and wound site had a smell. I cleaned the wound with Dakins which is diluted bleach and called PCP for antibiotics his partner was on call and refused and sent me to the ER for a wound culture and IV antibiotics. I knew a wound culture wound not be accurate after irrigating the wound with Dakins but I needed the IV antibiotics. CT scan with IV contrast did show there to be a abscess and while I was at home I took measurements of my wound and it had tunneled 6cm into my side. So a surgeon came in and opened the opening of the incision wider and placed a wound vac and put me on a charity program which I am so grateful for. I was in the hospital for 8 days. Ugh. This hospital is the competitor of the one I had originally used. Since the original surgery I have had a huge lump 2in above the wound site that goes under my left breast. I have a Amazing wound care nurse and told her what was going on on my 4th dressing change and she pulled the CT results for me and sure enough my wound is healing at a enormous rate which it does if you drink your protein and have a vac but I have a abscess above the wound site. Right where my stomach is in my left upper quad. They are scheduling me for a MRI hopefully I will get this taken care of without another wound. My incision sites from the original removal surgery (laparoscopic sites) give me 10 kinds of pain and have busted open several times but they are finally after 5 months starting to heal. I hope soon there will be a end to this nightmare. Again I am a wound care nurse. I already had my lap-band before becoming a nurse. In my personal opinion based on the high # of bariatric patients I take care of...don't do it. 100% do NOT have a bypass. You would be shocked at the high # of patients that have complications years later and die from those complications. I would NEVER suggest anyone having these surgeries. I would also suggest no one EVER have anything artificial placed in your body if it can be helped! My personal and professional opinion! It isn't worth it! I will update after my MRI is complete and have my results. This has been a nightmare and not sure when I will be able to return to work so I can support my family.

Most Active