sleeve to rny revision - wt loss?

Lizzie_Bennet
on 9/10/15 10:46 am

My program does not allow protein shakes at all, even if I could tolerate them. Surgeons want us getting our protein from dense protein sources. But I can only get in about 30 grams a day that way. When I see my surgeon at the end of the month, I'm going to ask him about adding a protein drink to bump up the grams. I don't want to eat more!

I never hit goal with my sleeve. I lost 70 pounds (about 30 short of goal). I am only eight pounds away from my lowest sleeve weight now. So I'd like to lose another 40 more. Or maybe 50 to have a "cushion".

My surgeon offered to do the DS. I totally would have done it, but I needed the acid fixed, and the DS would have left me with my sleeve. I wish I'd chosen the DS to begin with in 2009! Maybe the GERD wouldn't be so bad if I'd managed to get to goal and maintain it.

Shotrod64
on 9/16/15 12:01 am - Spanaway, WA
I chickened out on the rny and still kick myself thinking i should of done it. But hind sight is 20/20! I spoke to my surgeon monday and he wants to do a scope and see how the gerd is and if it's still the same as before, if so he will do the DS. First though he wants me to do another food journal and see a nutritionist in a month and see how i'm doing. He said if you can't eat how you should there is no sense doing the surgery. Makes sense i suppose and it's only 6 weeks to surgery date. The previous surgeon i probably could of got right in and bypassed all this except the scope. But it's nice to know my old surgeon cares enough to do this and it was surprising that he spent 1 1/2 hrs with me, that's unheard of!!

Keeping fingers crossed the scope is good but either way i'll be getting a revision so I am lucky for that.
amystimetoshine
on 9/20/15 5:51 pm - Pleasant Hill, CA

Thank you all so much for your replies.  I expect that I will lose some after surgery but it won't be super fast.  My program does allow protein shakes if we need them to meet our protein goals in the afternoon.  I am very active with working out and I do a lot of heavy weight lifting.  I see the scale move down faster when I am doing my shakes.  I also lose more body fat than muscle when my protein is around 100 grams a day.  I guess it is best that we all do what works for our bodies and our individual programs.  It may be once I move to the RNY I can get in more dense protein.   Thank you all for your insight and sharing your experiences.   :-)  Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
amystimetoshine
on 10/9/15 7:43 pm - Pleasant Hill, CA

Just checking in to see how everyone is doing with their revisions? I just heard today mine will be 11/24/15. 2 days before Thanksgiving!!! How are you all doing with your loss? with acid reduction?? :-) Amy

HW 319   SW  277  CW 180  GW 169
Most Active