lapband revision

amaral1407
on 8/11/15 5:48 pm - WA

Was approved for my lapband revision to the sleeve August 31. Excited and nervous, the lapband was great for about the first year, than I started getting sick whenever I ate, had to get it deflated and inflated so many times, I ended up anemic, heartburn, and unfortunately gaining back 37 of the 130 pounds I lost. Any idea to how long I will need to be off work, it is a desk job?

Queen JB
on 8/11/15 6:21 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I revised to RNY from the band, so not exactly the same, but here's my experience. The first two weeks, when I expected to feel miserable, I felt amazingly good! Very little pain and lots of energy. 

But the next week, it got harder. GERD came back, hydration is hard, and I am tired again (presumably the lack of calories are catching up to me). 

Monday will be 4 weeks, and I am supposed to go back to work, then. Honestly, I felt more energetic at week 2 than I do at week 4. It's not awful or impossible, but it will be hard. 

My job is very active and stressful, though. If yours is a desk job, and you don't run into any issues, you might be ready to hop right back after 2 weeks! You just never know, so plan to be out for the max amount and play it by ear.

Even though my post probably sounds somewhat depressed (tough few days...), I am still 100% happier without the stupid band. So, yay! Good luck--I'm sure you won't miss yours, either! 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

amaral1407
on 8/11/15 9:00 pm - WA

Thanks for the info!!!!  Never knew how much the lapband would make me so sick, I will be gone when it is removed.  Good luck with your recovery....

amaral1407
on 8/26/15 9:13 pm - WA

Thank you... Hope you are feeling much better, I have GERD so bad that I am ready to rip my band off.  I keep thinking just 5 more days you can do this.  The 2 week liquid diet has been alot harder this time, guess it's cause I got burnt out on sugar free Popsicles, broth, and of course jello from previous surgery...

Karen D.
on 8/12/15 5:26 am - NY
Revision on 11/24/15
On August 11, 2015 at 5:48 PM Pacific Time, amaral1407 wrote:

Was approved for my lapband revision to the sleeve August 31. Excited and nervous, the lapband was great for about the first year, than I started getting sick whenever I ate, had to get it deflated and inflated so many times, I ended up anemic, heartburn, and unfortunately gaining back 37 of the 130 pounds I lost. Any idea to how long I will need to be off work, it is a desk job?

Hi!  Congrats on the approval for revision.  Is the doc going to do it in 1 operation?  I'm thinking about revising my band to VSG and am worried about having to have 2 surgeries.  I have a love/hate relationship with my band.  I do a lot of sliming, even on water some days.  I see my doc next week and have given myself til then to make my decision.  Hoping that if I say YES, my insurance will cover.

Keep us posted!

amaral1407
on 8/12/15 8:04 am - WA

Hi He is going to do it in one surgery which is wonderful news.  It was a really hard decision to make, but getting sick every meal isn't worth it.  I hope your insurance will approve your surgery.    Let me know.

Baby1234
on 8/12/15 4:55 pm

My new dr told me he doesn't do surgery revision all at once because of the scar tissue..,and fear of leakage

KraaaazyK
on 8/14/15 2:01 pm

I had revision from band to RNY in 8-6-15 returning to work on Monday on 08-17-15

Dinky75
on 8/19/15 5:53 am

I had revision from band to RNY on 7/28/15 I returned to work 8/17/15. I haven't felt bad after surgery but I am definitely exhausted. I did not feel this way after my band surgery. I have a desk job myself and I am happy I took 3 weeks instead of just 2 but I could have went back after 2 weeks. Congrats on the surgery and good luck. I feel my weight loss is slower this time around but my dr is happy with my loss so far so that is good news. I think I'm just impatient lol! Good Luck to you!

Dinky75 pre-band(4/12/11)weight 247 - pre RNY(7/28/15) weight 213.   

amaral1407
on 8/26/15 9:10 pm - WA

Thank you.  I am starting to get nervous, totally forgot what it was like to do 2 weeks of liquids.

Most Active