Lapband to ???? Advice needed!

Nate K
on 7/9/15 7:44 am - Akron, OH

Hello everybody! I had lapband surgery when I was 15 years old, lost about 75 pounds then slowly gained it all back and then some. I think I was just too young to follow the program as strict as I was supposed to. 

I am now 23 years old at 368 pounds, with no health problems currently. I have always struggled with my weight even after joining numerous weight loss plans and of course having lapband. 

I am interested to hear from you all about what other options there are besides lapband as it did not work out for me. I know my doctor mentioned taking the lapband out doing a different surgery but I do not recall what it was. Right now, there is a several month weight to see my surgeon so I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Thank you!

Hislady
on 7/9/15 6:03 pm - Vancouver, WA

Don't feel too bad about the band not working, the last I read it was up to a 60% failure rate so you aren't alone! I had mine out over a year ago and still have stomach problems from it.

As far as other surgeries the are 3 others besides the lapband. There is the VSG vertical sleeve gastrectomy where they remove 70-80% of the stoma*****luding the part that produces grehlin (hunger hormone) with this surgery you keep your pyloric valve, that helps hold the food in your stomach. This one is restriction only like the band only this one really works if you follow the plan. Unlike the band which worked for very few.

Then there is the RNY or bypass where they make a smaller stomach and re-route your intestines. With this you malabsorb calories and vitamins for the first 12-24 mos then the stomach slowly starts absorbing the calories again but will always malabsorb vitamins and minerals. You also lose your pyloric valve with this surgery. You end up with restriction and malabsorbtion for up to 2 yrs.

The last one is DS or Duodenal switch with this one you have a sleeved stomach like the VSG and also an intestinal bypass similar to the RNY. With this surgery you have the restriction from the sleeve and permanent malabaorbtion with the intestinal bypass. So with this surgery and the RNY you MUST take vitamins the rest of your life or suffer from many forms of malnutrition. There have been some cases where people actually died from not keeping up on their vitamins! So it is something to very seriously consider when choosing a surgery.

For me I would choose either the VSG or the DS so I can keep my pyloric valve to help keep me feeling full better. Now that's just me so you should read up on the various surgeries and go to the different forums to see how it affects everyday life. Different surgeons are also pushing some newer surgeries like the plication and I believe there are a few RNY revisions that are very ineffective so stay away from anything that doesn't have a tried and true history. That is how we ended up getting screwed with the lapband!

BebeZed
on 7/12/15 3:51 pm - Bellingham, WA

I had lapband surgery in May, 2008. I lost 40 lbs and that was it. I got sick (not related to the lapband) and regained it all and then some. I know that since the lapband's restriction didn't work for me, I will need the malabsorption as well, so I am currently saving up for DS surgery. I chose not to go with the RNY because I've seen too many lose a whole lot of weight and then regain a significant amount later on. That, and dumping syndrome is a real deterrent to me. Also, I've done a lot of research into the DS post-op diet and it's one I can truly live with as it's a whole lot more like my normal diet preferences than anything else. Your mileage may vary, however. 

It's a very individual thing so the best advice I can offer is do your research, research some more, decide upon a surgery and then decide on a surgeon who has lots of experience and skill in that surgery. Your previous surgeon may or may not have experience in all of the various surgeries available, so keep yourself open to the possibility of switching surgeons. Also keep in mind that some surgeons (not all) will try to talk you out of surgeries that they do not personally perform, so once again do your research :)

Good luck to you and may you have lots of success no matter which route you choose! 

Most Active