Emergency revision from Lap Band to Gastric Sleeve.

Kathleen2nyc
on 4/16/15 2:32 am

Hi Everyone,

I had a lapband surgery on November 20, 2014, and on March 23rd, 2015, I had an emergency removal of that lapband, as it had slipped and caused part of my stomach to become necrotic.  In essence, when my surgeon had to remove part of my stomach, he had to give me a vertical sleeve.  So, now I'm nearly 4 weeks post-op and still not feeling well.  I know that I am getting a bit better everyday, but the tiredness, soreness, and not eating well is getting me down. 

Protein shakes are giving me all sorts of problems, but will keep trying to find one that works for me.  I'm getting in about 350-500 calories a day, and most days, am fairly close to reaching my recommended protein level.  It's hard to keep hydrated, but I'm getting better at that.

My question for everyone is....how long did it take for you to feel like yourself again? When did you feel your energy level returning, and your disposition improving?  I guess I'm a bit scared that I'll feel like this off and on forever, and that I may have screwed up my body permanently. 

I do have a followup with my Dr. on Tuesday 4/21, and will talk to him and the nutritionist about my concerns....but I want to hear from people who have gone through this.

Thank you!

mornings
on 4/16/15 3:51 am - Canada

you had a major surgery done  its gonna take a few weeks before your back to yourself ,   but try to not pamper yourself too much ,   think  positive things and  look forward to a more healty you .. one thing that may help is  getting yourself a hydration pack  its like a back pack only holds water and a tube you can sip and walk ,  im sure when you see your doctor  they may do follow up bloodwork ,   it took me around 5 to 6 weeks to feel myself again and you been thru more then I was

Kathleen2nyc
on 4/16/15 6:35 am

Thanks,  the fact that you feel like yourself again after 5-6 weeks gives me hope.  Even if it takes me 8 weeks, so be it.  Since my stomach muscles finally feel a bit better, I'm starting to walk more.  I live in NYC and tend to walk a mile or two just getting back and forth to work, and running errands, but still trying to walk more.   Thanks again for your help.

mornings
on 4/18/15 4:03 pm - Canada

your gonna do great   , your on the right  track for sure ,   with me  there was 2 major things I had to have for this  revision im having in may ,  I finally got , that's fitbit ,    money worth spending  I got the cheap version not the new expensive ones , it does for me just what I needed ,   my fitnesspal on  my phone actually counts my calories and  my  camelback  hydration pack for when I do walk , its worth  the money too  you walk sip  since its a back pack with a hose and mouth piece so you can drink on the move ,   also helps with the water intake  ....   the sport stores carry them and now walmart im told has coleman ones too ,   just  a friendly  suggestion if you need help with  getting in your water   ,   each day  will become easier for you  and you will be so happy you  did this

Kathleen2nyc
on 4/27/15 2:45 am

Thanks very much for your help.  It's been almost two weeks since my post and I feel so much better now.  Still sore and tired some days, but able to eat a bit more, and I'm more vigilant about my water intake.  Made all the difference.  Thanks again for your encouragement.

Most Active