anyone else having issues with serious heakth cpmlications post RNY?

MsBatt
on 3/19/15 10:05 am

There are different kinds of revisions, depending on what you specific problem is. Given your reactive hypoglycemia and iron issues, the best revision for you would probably getting your RNY converted to a VSG/Sleeve. This is a complicated revision, but it would give you back your pylorus and hopefully stop the RH. It would also give you back your duodenum, where iron is primarily absorbed.

Sharon H.
on 1/7/16 11:47 am, edited 1/7/16 3:46 am

I have severe RH, seizures and low iron.  I'd still have my RNY and, in fact, I'm seriously seeking revision surgery to help me with the havoc the RH caused.  Now I am under the care of an endo and a neuro.  I take acarbose when I eat carbs and that slows down the insulin reaction and stops the RH.  I take seizure meds so if I DO have a low (mine typically fall to 35 or less) I won't have a grand mal on top of it.  

I also am anemic and take an infusion every three months.  I have trouble with iron supplements so the infusion just works better for me so it's no big deal.

I don't take anything else except the occasional protein shake and all my labs are great.  Right now I've nearly gained all of my weight loss back (original RNY in June 2009) so I'm seeking a revision as I cannot seem to lose it despite a 1200 cal plan plus running 3x a week.  Hopefully a revision can get me back to where I was before I understood the RH and had the proper tools to handle it rather than eating 3 peanut butter sandwiches in 15 minutes (!) to feel better.

i hope after all this time you found your own answers and are feeling great too!

ES

Most Active