confused

claimingsuccess
on 11/11/14 11:01 am, edited 11/11/14 11:08 am

While I know no one on here can tell me what is best for me, I would really appreciate some advice. I ha my band placed in 2009. I had great success and dropped 90lbs. Not soon after I bargain to gain weight, I never reached my goal. However, I was able to maintain my weight. Last year I began to have instances where I would get stuck and would spit up most of what I ate. I even had two emergency room visits due to severe stomach pain. I was always dx with gastritis. As time progressed I couldnt even keep water down. I had all the fluid removed  and all my issues were resolved. I recently returned to my bariatric surgeon because I am interested in having a bypass. My surgeon made me feel like I did something wrong and I wasn't chewing good enough or I didn't follow the guidelines. Well...I'm 3 months into my supervised program and my surgeon informed me that I need to schedule to have my band removed. While I'm scared to get my band filled and I have had difficulties, I felt a sense of sadness thinking I wouldn't have my band. Also, I'm scared of removing my band and not being approved for a revision.   I have no medical isses and all test show that nothing is wrong with my band. Just want opinions on what I should do. Should I try to work witg my band or have it removed and get a bypass?

airbender
on 11/11/14 11:50 am

I can relate to your post, more than you know.  ahhh the lap band, well the first 5 years were a god send, the last 3 just about killed me.  It is scary to think about losing your band, I know I was there, but I had every complication, I mean EVERY, my esophagus is permanently damaged, mostly because I had the band right after it was FDA approved so the problems I was having were so early compared to others...anyway.... so in that aspect that the band shows nothing, well that is where you and I are very different, like I said it was in the literature as a complication, yep I had it all (dysphagia, gastroesophageal reflux disease, uncontrolled vomiting, anterior and posteria hiatal hernia, anterior band slip, severe esophageal dysmotility, poor primary peristaltic wave, severe esophageal dilation, gastroesophogeal erosion, gastric antral erosion)  and yes you should be scared to get your band reinflated. 

why do you need your band removed if you are having no issues?  why not request a revision at the same time?  if you have had an UGI, and endoscope that show no damage, why not request a revision after expant to be done at the same time?  there is no reason to have 2 surgeries if you have no damage with the band,  and get rid of that dammm surgeon for that stupd comment he made about doing something wrong.   i caution you to choose wisely the 2nd time around for your revision surgery and explore all surgery types.

claimingsuccess
on 11/12/14 1:29 am

Thanks.  I was hoping for the bypass because I wasn't able to reach goal with the band or keep the weight I did lose off. When my band was filled it suddenly became tight. Everything got stuck and I couldn't keep anything down. The doctor said two surgeries to reduce the risk of complications. 

airbender
on 11/12/14 6:13 am

you need a 2nd opinion, there is no competent medical evidence to have 2 operations when your lap band has caused you no damage.  I would be leary of a surgeon who wanted me to have 2 surgeries when my lap band caused no issues, this is actually increasing your risk, 2 surgeries when only one is indicated.  again choose wisely....good luck to you and your journey to getting healthy

claimingsuccess
on 11/12/14 12:21 pm

Thank you.

Most Active