Considering the Options for Revision

Hislady
on 10/21/14 9:40 am - Vancouver, WA

The others have addressed pretty well the options but I want you to know and believe that you aren't a failure! The band is the failure, not you. We were lied to about what the band would do. I was told that at 5 yrs out I could have the same amount of weight loss as the RNY!! Pfft NOT, They finally had to admit that you only get about a 50% loss of weight with the band and that is any amount of weight. If you lose 5 lbs with the band it is considered a success, forget about losing to your goal weight. I was also told it was good for a lifetime, then again they had to admit it was really only good for maybe 10 yrs. Most people I know only last 3-6 yrs before they have to have it removed because of slippage, erosion,  just no weight loss or as in my case pain up under the center of my ribcage (which was gone after removal). Of course I will never be able to prove it.

Anyway I just want you to believe that you didn't fail, now you do have to follow your diet and exeercise to be successful with the RNY and after 12-18 mos you lose the malabsorbtion of calories so you really need to crack down right at first and work your tail off to get rid of the extra weight so that by the time you lose the malabsoring after the first year you should be able to keep it off if you stick to plan. If I can help with any other questions feel free to PM me.

pineview01
on 10/22/14 3:20 pm - Davison, MI

I was a band failure.  I was sleeved 1/13 and am a sleeve success.  I felt great when I got under 200 with the band for a few days.  Than after 4 years of medical problems had it removed.  4.5 month later and now I have reset my goals 3 time and and now 10 pounds below the lowest  I just wanted to be sizes 14/16 and am now a 6/8 .  I love the sleeve and it has done more for me than ever expected.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

MsBatt
on 10/31/14 12:56 am

How much weight do you want to lose? Statistically, the DS has the best long-term, maintained weight loss. The DS makes a dramatic, permanent change in the way your body metabolizes food. A lot of us were born with super-efficient metabolisms, able to run our bodies on less food than the average person does. Years of dieting, losing, and regaining just make our bodies get more and more efficient at storing energy as fat. (You might say the DS 'breaks' us back to 'normal'.)

NYMom222
on 10/31/14 1:23 am
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes, the band failed you. Most Docs don't recommend them anymore. That being said having had a band shouldn't impede the success with any other type of WLS- sleeve, bypass- DS. I think you have to study the pros and cons of each and decide. and of course consider the recommendation of your surgeon. I had the bypass and am very happy so far. My niece has kept off 120 pounds for 10 years with the bypass, and she doesn't struggle with it. That was my inspiration. Good Luck!

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active