band to sleeve in a few weeks

LaurieAr
on 9/11/14 2:01 pm - knobel, ar

I had my lap band done in 2006.  Did great with it, lost down to 150 from 210 but in February they found my stomach had prolapsed.  I had to upper gi's and the way that the stomach is flipped over the band it will not flip back over cause it's hanging over the band.  Had all fluids removed in february to see if it would go back to normal.  it did not.  So, now i'm waiting for a surgery date to take band out and get the sleeve done all in one surgery.  I've heard so many people say when they revised that they still didn't lose any weight.  I've weighed the same for 1 1/2 year now and the dr who found my prolapse said that was the reason for on no weight loss.  Am i going to be disappointed???  I am now at 155 with unfilled band.  Insurance is not paying for this so i am a self payer for the sleeve part.  Insurance is paying to have band out.  I work out every day with a trainer and i am also in school to become a CPT, nutritionist, sports therapy and psychology.  Help please.  I can't seem to find any answers on these boards.  thank you to anyone *****plies.  

pineview01
on 9/13/14 2:33 pm - Davison, MI

I did great with the sleeve after band!  I started out about 280 and was banded at 257.  After almost 4 years of problems (I did get to 198 2 day but 210 was my real low.)  I got back up to 260 before they started taken fluid out of my band.  I could eat solid protein for a while and lose working out, than it would get tighter again and the would take fluid out.  This went on for 9 months until the took all the fluid as it was getting harder and more pain full every unfill.

I was sleeved at 232 and am now down to 150 with a normal bmi.  The sleeve is a dream after the band.  I am a happy vsg'er.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

JakeLC
on 9/14/14 5:07 am

Thank you for your post! I had just asked about  this on the sleeve forum and got very little response.    I wanted to hear once again that the sleeve is a better tool than the band and that I will not regret my decision. 

I am schedule for my revision in 3 weeks and getting nervous. 

pineview01
on 9/14/14 11:13 am - Davison, MI

It is and it is normal to be nervous!  After all we "failed" at dieting and than we "failed" at WLS.  We just have to keep saying the band failed us, the band failed us!  I almost backed out the last week even though I had fought to get the insurance to get the sleeve.  SO GLAD I DIDN'T GIVE IN TO NERVES.  You got this.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

LaurieAr
on 9/14/14 10:53 am - knobel, ar

thank you so much for your reply.  Your the only one that has replied and i really appreciate it.  I'm just trying to see if there is a big difference between the band and the sleeve.  Do you have less of an appetite with the sleeve?  How much can you eat at a time and can you at around the sleeve like we can with the band?

pineview01
on 9/14/14 11:38 am - Davison, MI

Once the sleeve was totally healed and matured, I could eat a little bit of anything.  Unlike with the band I would have a bit of bread and get stuc****il I threw up.  I couldn't eat out with people if I tried to talk and eat ANYTHING I would get stuck and have to throw up.

With the band I never lost my appetite at all.  That big stomach under the band was always hungry.  So, I either ate and was in pain and hungry or I wasn't in pain and hungry as I hadn't eaten.  Than It got where I could only eat slider food=fattening food.

When I go out say to Applebee's for example, I eat half of a half order Chicken Caesar salad.  When I got to my favorite steak house I eat a small piece of the awesome bread and half the house salad.  I take my steak home and eat it later.  About 2/3 oz at a setting if eating nothing else.

I could eat solid protein with the band and can with the sleeve.

Chilipepper
on 9/14/14 10:27 am

Why would you go from one restrictive procedure to another.  Look at the revision board. MANY revise from the sleeve to an rny or DS. Thank about everything before you cut

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

LaurieAr
on 9/14/14 10:55 am - knobel, ar

I have done great with the band and restriction is what i would like.  The only reason i'm having to go to sleeve is because my stomach prolapsed through the band and it has to be removed.  I have one of the first bands they came out with and it wasn't meant to stay in as long as it has.  I switched dr's and he found the prolapse, i never had a symptom but i can't do a band again because the chance of it prolapsing again is 95% so i'm doing the sleeve to keep my restriction.  

pineview01
on 9/14/14 11:18 am, edited 9/14/14 11:19 am - Davison, MI
On September 14, 2014 at 5:27 PM Pacific Time, Chilipepper wrote:

Why would you go from one restrictive procedure to another.  Look at the revision board. MANY revise from the sleeve to an rny or DS. Thank about everything before you cut

Because the procedures are not the same.  Yes both are restrictive but, one is based on a foreign mechanical devise and the other is based on a normal functioning stomach, just much smaller and the natural pyloric valve.  Also they stated they did well with restriction only and have no reason to but themselves thru the mal-absorption of nutrients for life if not necessary.

I did and am so glad I did.

Chilipepper
on 9/14/14 11:33 am

I wasn't addressing you. I asked the op a question and she did a good job answering for herself. 

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active