Revision from Sleeve to Bypass on July 16th

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/26/14 10:05 am, edited 8/26/14 10:06 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I am on a 3 month requirement from BCBS Federal  This my first month.  I too have a Hiatal Hernia and horrible reflux.  I should have chose the RNY from the very start, oh well can't change the past.

This will be my 3rd surgery I had the Lap Band in 2008, Sleeve in 2009.  I am going through the loops and such and going to see if they will approve it this time due to my Hiatal Hernia as being a medical necessity.  Back in 2013, the doctor submitted for it but they said that I had not completed the 3 month requirement and I was not in compliance with the eating and exercising with the last 2 surgeries.  

Best Wishes to you DYFAN.  

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

jillbeme
on 8/26/14 10:17 am
Revision on 07/29/14

Your story is mine dead out.   Had my rny 7/29. Haven't felt that great yet still having minor issues.  But I can say no Gerd .   Weight loss is slow and steady.   Good luck on your pursuit.

Jill     

DYFAN
on 8/26/14 10:17 am
RNY on 07/16/14

After the initial tough time right after surgery, all has been pretty good.  I struggle with knowing how much to eat since I don't feel the restriction like I did with the sleeve.  Seems very strange to me.

I didn't have to do too much to get the insurance approval.  They initially denied due to the code being used.  Once that was settled it went right though.  No preop requirements.  I will say though that I did lose 70 lbs with the sleeve and gained back about 40.  I did see the dietician and dr. and the surgeon's clinic so it was documented that I was trying to get back on track.  Part of my weight loss was some of the meds I was on at the time.  I don't really know what they submitted to insurance company though.  The main reason I went through it was because of the GERD.  Interesting too that I didn't have a hiatal hernia instead I had a very tight spincter so several drs. couldn't give me a good reason why I had the reflux since the tight spincter should have not allowed it.  Oh well.

I've lost 30 lbs since surgery 6 weeks ago.  Not bad considering I was told that I would be a slow loser due to the revision.  I have about 40 lbs to go to get to my goal.

Good luck on your journey.  RNY REALLY does stop the GERD.  No reflux at all.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 8/26/14 11:43 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

Thanks for replying.  What insurance do you have?  If I'm not approved I may change to another company.  You are doing great.  So happy for you and your weight loss and especially no GERD!!!

Thanks.

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

DYFAN
on 8/26/14 12:23 pm
RNY on 07/16/14

I have Aetna.  It was through the company I used to work for.   I've been on COBRA and unfortunately it ends 8/31/2014.   Thankfully got the surgery in and I had reached my out of pocket maximum and the surgery didn't cost me anything,  100% covered, pretty amazing.   

bublegirl1
on 9/12/14 1:02 pm
RNY on 11/10/14

I am in the process of trying to revise from sleeve to RNY as well. Go on the 22 for my endoscopy then they will submit letter for approval. Doctor said I do meet the insurance requirements for revision so hoping I won't get denied.

I also lost 76 lbs with sleeve and regained 40. Been holding steady at that weight for two years now so I'm proud of that at least. Hopeing RNY will get me to my goal since I never reached it before.

I got lucky with my sleeve as I also met my out of pocket prior to surgery and it was covered 100%. But now is a different story. I have to pay my $500 deductable up front then meet my OOP afterwards. Its' $2000 but I met $50 so I'll have to pay $1950. Still a lot less than paying cash so trying not to get too down about that. Just hard on a one income family!

I wish all the best and would love to keep in touch and support eachother!

-Amie

Most Active