What are the dangers of re-sleeving a DSer?

jst
on 7/8/14 6:44 am

Hi All -- I got my DS in 2008 with Dr. John Rabkin (a FABULOUS doctor).  I went from a high of 425 to a low of 175.  Over the past two years, I've been regaining.  At this point, I seem to be putting on about a pound a week.  I'm now up to 210 and I'm terrified that I'm going to keep regaining.  I think that part of the problem for me is that I can eat a ton.  I can eat as much as someone who has never been sleeved.  I'm considering being re-sleeved, but I notice that lots of people warn of the dangers.  What are the dangers (other than the normal risks that come with any surgery)?  Has anyone here gotten a re-sleeve after a DS?

Ladytazz
on 7/9/14 7:40 am

From what I understand the risk is leaks because of having to suture (or staple) over the original suture or staple line and because the stomach has been stretched out the tissue is more fragile.  From what I understand the risk of leak is significant.  I have heard of several having problems even with experienced surgeons.

I would talk with my surgeon and get their opinion.

FWIW I had a sleeve originally with my DS in 2002 that was huge.  I felt zero restriction from day one and I know that played a huge part in my regain, along with other things.

My surgeon wouldn't consider a resleeve so I basically had a sub total gastrectomy, removing my entire stomach except a small amount to form the pouch.  In my case it wasn't bad because I finally have restriction, the removal of the stomach seems to have eliminated my hunger and fortunately I haven't suffered from many of the issues others have with a pouch.  I do dump (found out by accident) and I've had a few bouts of RH but for the most part I am issue free and wouldn't even know I didn't have a stomach if it weren't for my being able to each small amounts of food and be satisfied.

I also completely avoid refined carbs, sugar and gluten, which can be a trigger for the dumping and RH.

Not advising you to have a pouch because I would rather have kept my pyloric valve but it wasn't the horrible tragedy I was expecting, either.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

clpeltz
on 7/12/14 2:40 am

There would be an increased risk of leaks.  Going back to basics (high protein, high fat, low carb) while you are going through the process of looking into a re-sleeve would be good.  

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

MsBatt
on 7/14/14 5:49 am

I would really take a long look at my diet before I had more surgery. Do you journal your food? How many grams of protein, fat, and carbs do you eat every day, on average?

Most Active