anyone who has had revision to RNY from sleeve

cindymissouri
on 6/22/14 7:55 am
RNY on 01/06/15

Can you pleaser tell me how it went, how long It's been and your results please. One doctor told me there It's a 14 perfect chance of a leak. The other days it's not nearly that high?  Confused. I just didn't lose nearly enough with my sleeve

Lost 34 lbs before surgery

Hislady
on 6/22/14 9:32 am - Vancouver, WA

If you want the malabsorption you should do the DS, the sleeve is the beginning of the DS. Any good revision surgeon should be able to do it. There is always a chance of a leak but a good surgeon is going to have a very low rate. Your surgeon evidently doesn't do them or not very often or he wouldn't be so concened about a leak. Try finding an actual revision surgeon who can tell you about the DS or read up on it at dsfacts.com. It doesn't make sense to have an RNY when you already have a sleeve in place.

pineview01
on 6/22/14 11:34 am - Davison, MI

Like HisLady stated, if your have a sleeve and didn't do well enough with restriction only I would look into the DS.  Usually surgeons that recommend going from VSG to RNY are surgeons that don't do the DS.  Our center only does VSG to RNY because they don't do DS.  Please look into the DS, they will leave your sleeve alone.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

cindymissouri
on 6/22/14 12:04 pm
RNY on 01/06/15

Yes my surgeons do not do the DS. It was not my doctor who told me the leak rate. That just shocked me. There are no surgeons in Missouri that I am aware of that do DS abd take my insurance. I wish I could find one. 

Suzysings
on 6/23/14 4:21 am - Woodstock, IL

I had the RNY on May 28, revision of my sleeve.  I had it because I had severe heartburn, not better with 3 different meds.  The actual segment of the small intestine that was bypassed was only 1/2 as long as the normal RNY because I don't have that much weight to lose---maybe 25 pounds.

I've had no problems, I'm on soft foods, only lost about 8 pounds so far, which is kind of frustrating, but I have to remind myself WHY I had this surgery. And the good news is that whereas I was doubled over in pain on and off all day before the surgery, I have not had ANY heartburn since.  So that's a victory for sure, and any more weight loss is gravy (LOL).

May 2007 Lapband: Wt 210
May 2009 Lapband removal Wt 149
June 2010 Sleeve: Wt 171
Goal Wt: 136
cindymissouri
on 6/24/14 12:59 am
RNY on 01/06/15

I am glad you are feeling so much better

BridgetJones
on 6/30/14 9:35 pm - Belle Vernon, PA

I am seeking a revision from RNY to DS.  I am in Pittsburgh so I am curious if anyone else has had the DS done in Pittsburgh.  I don't fear the revision as long as my surgeon has done take down of the RNY and can do DS.  Should I be more precautions?

5'5"   SW - 208  GW1 - 138  GW2 - 108 Lowest W - 108  CW - 158.5

Seeking revision from RNY to DS due to extreme hypoglycemia

Original surgery June 24, 2009        

Most Active