Thinking about revision from band................where do I start

Sherra O.
on 6/22/14 10:37 pm - Houston, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

I'm Sherra. A 35 year old mom to four boys. I work full time and my husband has stayed home for the past 8 years off an one. I was banded in 2007. I lost 99lbs and was 1 pound from Onederland. Then we found out we were expecting. I completely unfilled for the sake of my child's nutrition and it has never been the same since. We've had another child since. I'm constantly intolerant of most things until well into the evening and even then its mostly soups or wine. I've regained 65lbs and I'm so beyond tired of being afraid to eat or going to the bathroom after every meal and looking bulimic. My body is in starvation mode and is holding to every thing I eat; good, bad or otherwise. Today is 2 weeks until my revision to sleeve surgery date 7/7 and I will start my pre-op diet tomorrow. I'm in Houston and am having a revision by Dr. Turnquest. My original surgeon retired last summer, sadly. 

My new surgeon says it is unfortunately common that the band doesn't last longer than 5-7 years. I wish I had known. I might not have done the band when i did it, or might have gone with the sleeve back then. BUT I wouldn't change it for the world. I love my two sons that are band babies. And soon, I'll be back on the road to Onederland.

Ju1ieg
on 6/23/14 10:23 am - Lone Jack , MO

Sherra, I'm so glad u posted.  I'm in the same boat, my band has not failed but I have.  I really hate the throwing up and the inconsistency of food options.  Anyhow I'm currently considering the sleeve also.  I hope you will post your progress as a fellow bandster I am very interested in the differences.  Good luck I'm really hoping it works well for you.

Ju1ieg
on 6/24/14 9:46 am - Lone Jack , MO

Sierra, I forgot to ask about the pre op diet.  I have heard several folks mention it.  I didn't have to do the pre diet before the band, is this just relating to the Sleeve surgery?  What kind of diet is it?

Sherra O.
on 6/25/14 2:02 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 07/07/14

I had to do a 2week preop liver-shrinking diet with my band. The VSG surgeon is doing one as well but for only 1 weeks. I started this week to get back in the groove. Here is my diet.

Morning: 2 servings of yogurt, eggs, toast, waffle or oatmeal

lunch: 1 serving of AmazeRx protein shake (you can find it at Amazerx.com)
afternoon: 1 serving of lean meat & 1 serving of green veggies
evening: 1 serving of Amaze Rx protein shake.

If you have to snack it must be low fat, high protein, no carb. It took a couple weeks to get use to it. And LOTS of water.   The other options include subing 2 meals for protein shakes.
I would recommend Optimum 100% Whey Gold Protein Powder. They have Double Rich Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry, Cookies 'N Cream, Strawberry/Banana & Chocolate Mint. Or AmazeRx.They have Double Rich Chocolate, Swiss Vanilla, Strawberry/Cheesecake & Mocha.   AmazeRX can be bought online. and Optimum can be bought at GNC, the Vitamin Shoppe or online.

Ju1ieg
on 6/25/14 2:11 am - Lone Jack , MO

Thank you so much for the diet info

looking4hope
on 6/25/14 10:14 am

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories.

Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

juelesisfree
on 6/28/14 10:36 am

I was banded in 2007, the past two years I have suffered greatly with the puking and reflux so bad that upper GI showed I had esophagitis and reflux... I didn't want to remove the band but my health was impaired. After doing my research and talking with my Dr I started to look at my options and once they released my fills it was so easy to gain the weight something needed to be done.

Monday I will be going in for sleeve surgery! I am looking forward to not sleeping with my head propped on 3 pillows and not traveling with a "spit" bucket as I never knew when something would not agree with me!! 

I wish you the best in any surgery that you pursue, I believe the change will be worth it :) 

56sunShine14
on 6/28/14 12:17 pm

Please, for your own sake, stop saying "it isn't the band, I failed".  It IS the band.

I too was banded in 2007, took 18 months to get decent restriction and a year later had to have some removed after 12 hours of continuous vomiting. I followed all the rules but still vomited the weight off at the expense of my esophagus and my voice.  Because I have severe neck and spine issues, the vomiting made me hurt so badly I couldn't hardly move my head for a few hours.  It is NOT you.  It IS the band.

Good luck on whatever you decide.  I am having it removed in a few weeks and after my tummy heals, I am getting the sleeve.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

Loftlady
on 7/5/14 7:13 am

Hi All,

i am wondering if anyone has gotten a vertical sleeve in New York City and would you recommend you surgeon? I have had it with my surgeon and the practice. I have been puking for years and have severe reflux. They can't seem yo diagnose anything.

Most Active