Revision

Katsmile37
on 4/13/14 12:52 am - MD

I have open RYN in 2005 I went from 326 to 136 I am now at 197 I would like to know who out there has done revision? I have been looking into the Rose procedure or some call it the StomaphyX  have any of you had this done if so how did it go? how much did it cost? and did you lose weight that you gained? Where did you go to get it done? Thanks so much for any info you can give me

Whit
on 4/13/14 1:33 am
Revision on 12/10/12

Unfortunately to date I have not seen one instance of success from these procedures. I revised from RNY to DS 12/10/12. I lost all excess weight and now have a BMI of 20. It has not been easy but it was the best most effective revision for me. Look into all of your options before you waste your time and resources on unproven procedures. 

Good luck.

Revision from RNY to DS 12/10/12 Dr. Ara Kesishian BMI: 19

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Hislady
on 4/13/14 4:13 am - Vancouver, WA

I agree, I haven't seen anything good about either of these, well except that the surgeon makes more money! However the patient only loses maybe 20 lbs if they are lucky and that doesn't last. So yes save your money and find or wait for a better procedure. Have you gone back to basics and tried journaling your food? That always works best for me.

Ladytazz
on 4/13/14 12:55 pm

Have you been diagnosed with a stretched stoma? That is the first step.  If you do have a stretched stoma there aren't that many options available, none of them are easy.  You can try one of those procedures you mentioned but word of mouth hasn't been positive.  There is the lap band, also not recommended.  I have heard of some people having their entire RNY redone, including remaking the pouch.  My surgeon told me that the RNY they do today is completely different from the way they were done a few years ago.  Then there is revising to the sleeve or DS, both of which are very complex surgeries and only done well by experienced surgeons.  If you decide to go that route it is very important to choose your surgeon well or you could wind up in worse shape they you are now.

Of all your options the revision to the DS is the most effective.  But the first thing is to verify that your problems are due to mechanical failure.  If everything is intact then the best thing to do is to deal with your eating issues.  All the WLS in the world won't help if you continue to eat the way you did before surgery.  Self honesty if very important when coming to terms with the why of regain.  Outside help may be needed to address your eating issues.  Once you are able to work on your eating problems you may find that you don't need a revision, that you already have a tool that works well when you use.  If you find that even with the surgery being intact that the tool you have isn't right for you, then you can explore your options knowing that you have a handle on your eating issues and give yourself the best chance for success.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active