If I had vsg wanting Ds

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/14 8:19 am - Lower Burrell, PA

If I wanted DS with no doctor available and I had the vsg I'm ten months out will they do the remainder of the surgery? My BMI is 32.9 BUT I haven't lost any weight since 4 months out. I think in the last six months I've lost three or four pounds. Please don't get on me about wanting revision already. I'm looking to finish the surgery I wanted. This is not successful for me and i was a light weight to begin. The nut made me gain 50 lbs prior to surgery and now I am only down 9 pounds prior to the weight gain. SOOOO My question is has any one been in this postion? Has anyone had the revision this far out at this low of a bmi? My blood pressure is still high and I'm on meds for it, My sleep apnea is still bad, and my asthma is terrible. What do you think?

Hislady
on 3/3/14 10:41 am - Vancouver, WA

You might get more responses if you post this on the DS forum, they are a smart bunch over there!

DrAceves
on 3/3/14 12:05 pm - Mexico

Your case, like most revisions is very particular, the first thing I would suggest is that you get a look at your sleeve, have a barium swallow done and have a surgeon evaluate if you have an effective sleeve.  it might very well be that you have a very large sleeve or a very irregular sleeve that will never get you to goal.   if you sleeve  is regular  then checking the quality of food you  are having is important as you  surely already know.  Having said this, a DS revision is possible at your BMI. If you are working with your sleeve and you still cannot lose weight with restriction alone the Ds could be  done.   Your surgeon would evaluate the  size of your sleeve to determine the malabsortive part. it is likely that you just need the 2nd stage done. 

Good luck! 

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

(deactivated member)
on 3/3/14 12:16 pm - Lower Burrell, PA

I hope you are right!!! I feel like something isn't right and have felt that way all along because even the first month I wasn't loosing more than 10 lbs a month and by two months was having regular stalls of a week or two at a time. I just want this to work and my health to be back to normal... Ppl don't realize that they take for granted the health that comes with bieng skinny unless they have had health issues. I'm calling surgeons tomorrow.

pineview01
on 3/4/14 6:54 am - Davison, MI

Because I was a revision, I too was a light weight at time of sleeving.  I gained 20 pounds after the band was removed while having to met the original requirements.  When you have less to lose and are closer to a normal body wight you WILL lose slower.  I wasn't even losing 10 pounds a month and started having regular stalls at three week and even regains.  It took me the first year of hard work, journalist, weighing and seeing a therapist to make this work.  It was even harder for me after having "failed" the band.

Some surgeon, most in the US, won't even do the DS on lightweights.  My oldest sister at almost 400 pounds actually lost to much and they wanted to revise her.  So you may find some surgeons may want to to wait a little longer, get therapy and/or get you sleeve checked to make sure it is OK first.

You are the first person I met that the NUT made them GAIN 50 pounds first.  That seems crazy to me.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 8:13 am - Lower Burrell, PA

I have  a choice now. Do I keep plugging away and pray that I finally start loosing weight or do I start now and try getting up the 15lbs i need to get the revision. Do I really want to gain weight AGAIN to qualify for surgery or Do I just accept that I may have these health issues for the rest of my life. I Don't know I guess I have a lot of thinking to do in the next two months. I'm not going to try to gain weight until after my wedding if that is the path I choose. BUT I am back up to 174 after being down to 170. It's frustrating and depressing and I just can't take it any longer.

pineview01
on 3/4/14 9:14 am - Davison, MI

Are they going to make you gain to qualify for the 2nd part of the DS?  Did you surgeon talk to you about doing the full DS?  Does your center or insurance require a bmi of 50 for the DS?  These are thing you would need to know to make an informed decision.

For me I would have to go back to cover all the basics and give myself a fair go at it.  But, I would do everything I could before trying for the full DS as I see the down side of a DS with my sister.  All the surgery have good and bad and we need to understand that when we choose.

Good luck with what you decide to do.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

(deactivated member)
on 3/4/14 9:25 am - Lower Burrell, PA

I spoke to surgeon today and only need bmi of 35 because of my comorboties. So I would only need to gain about 15 lbs. WHich on any given day I can be at without trying. I bounce between 172-186 It just depends on what I am eating or how the scale wants to throw at me. it is such a big bounce all the time.. currently I'm between 170-174 but last week I was between 170-180. It's never the same but never good.

Most Active