Band to Sleeve Revision. Anyone?

kads0606
on 3/1/14 3:57 am

Hello!

I got a Realize band in April 2012. I lost a little weight, about 50lbs but have gained 15 back. My band has been emptied, yet I am still PB'ing and vomiting a lot. Had an upper GI done and they said there were no problems. I submitted to insurance to have the band removed and the sleeve done. I met with my surgeon last Friday for the first time since insurance approval, and surgery had been scheduled for this past Monday. She kind of scared me with the rate of leaks due to the scar tissue removal from the band.

Needless to say, I was at the hospital ready to go for surgery when the anesthesiologist came in and told me my doctor was behind schedule and running rather late. All I could do was think about the possible horror stories she told me while I was waiting, and in turn my blood pressure skyrocketed. My surgeon came in to see me between other surgeries, and tried to calm me down with no such luck. She recommended I cancel surgery for the day, come back and talk with her in the office next week and we can go over other options and reschedule if I would like. Now, at the moment, I was FINE with the decision - I truly was a train wreck and could understand her not wanting to operate on someone who was under so much stress. The next morning, I awoke with a nasty nasty chest cold which has now turned into bronchitis. So it worked out- that would have been a nightmare to deal with during recovery, at least I think.

So, there is my story. I had decided when leaving the hospital that I WAS NOT going to continue because of how anxious it made me. But today, I am having second thoughts and really think I should move forward and reschedule.

My question to you who have had band removal/sleeve done in one surgery: Did you end up with a leak? How long did the procedure take from start to finish? Any other complications arise? PLEASE be brutally honest- I want the good, bad, and the UGLY!

Thank you all~

pineview01
on 3/2/14 8:13 am - Davison, MI

I would ask your surgeon if they are willing to do the surgery in two steps and allow the stomach to heal in between.  You didn't have your band that long so you may not have as much damage as some of us.  There is an increased leak rate in people that go from band to sleeve in one surgery than a virgin sleeve.  Some people are so damaged that they have to have an RNY when done in one surgery.

That is why are center requires it done in two surgeries as recommended by the AMBSA.  Some surgeons only require a two months wait but mine preferred a 4-6 month.  There is one lady at our center that had to wait almost a year as hers had eroded.  If she didn't wait her only option would have been a RNY.  It all worked out well for her and she got her sleeve.  Our center had two of the first four virgin sleeves leak.   But, since they have started doing band to sleeve they haven't had a single leaks so even though I didn't want two surgeries, I came to realize it was for the best.

Also the recovery from the sleeve was easier for me than the recovery from the band or the band removal.  I only took pain meds, after they stopped them after a few pushes, for the drive home and the first three nights.

Good luck and pm if you want to talk.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

KGG
on 3/19/14 8:40 pm
On March 2, 2014 at 4:13 PM Pacific Time, pineview01 wrote:

I would ask your surgeon if they are willing to do the surgery in two steps and allow the stomach to heal in between.  You didn't have your band that long so you may not have as much damage as some of us.  There is an increased leak rate in people that go from band to sleeve in one surgery than a virgin sleeve.  Some people are so damaged that they have to have an RNY when done in one surgery.

That is why are center requires it done in two surgeries as recommended by the AMBSA.  Some surgeons only require a two months wait but mine preferred a 4-6 month.  There is one lady at our center that had to wait almost a year as hers had eroded.  If she didn't wait her only option would have been a RNY.  It all worked out well for her and she got her sleeve.  Our center had two of the first four virgin sleeves leak.   But, since they have started doing band to sleeve they haven't had a single leaks so even though I didn't want two surgeries, I came to realize it was for the best.

Also the recovery from the sleeve was easier for me than the recovery from the band or the band removal.  I only took pain meds, after they stopped them after a few pushes, for the drive home and the first three nights.

Good luck and pm if you want to talk.

Very informative post. Thank you so much for sharing

donnamy3sons
on 3/19/14 4:07 pm - Pinetops, NC
Revision on 08/13/13

i got lap band in 2010, revised to sleeve in 8-2013. they did both at the smae time, removed band and did sleeve. I did great, the procedure lasted almost 2 hours I think. I am only 7 months out but have not had a leak, my surgeon told me the % of leaks was low. I did have a fiar amount of nausea after surgery but had some good meds for it. I was off pain meds by day 4-5 and was able to drive once I was off pain meds. It really has been an easy surgery, glad I did it. I think everyone has a case of second guessing their decision. was I nervous absolutely! but dont regret it a bit. my goal was to lose 67 lbs and I am down 75, even better than I ever thought. You can do this:) good luck!!!!

Most Active