Band to Sleeve Revision = Terrified

Jennifer M.
on 2/15/14 7:59 am - Coppell, TX

I just found out last week that my band has slipped (banded in 2005).  I just moved to TX a few months ago for work, and I was tight (all the symptoms, especially reflux) so I just went to a doc in my insurance plan.  I could see from the machine that my band had slipped even before drinking the nasty stuff.  They went ahead and unfilled me completely and then I went into the scary room where they tell you about getting removed and revising to the sleeve.  I was shocked to say the least.  There was so much information coming at me so fast, I only heard a quarter of what they said, I do remember they said something about having to have some sort of short procedure to look down into my stomach, and that I wouldn't be able to drive home.  I sat in my car and cried for a long time.  I don't know many people here, especially not someone that I could ask to hang out while I get a camera shoved down my throat then take me home.  No problem getting my parents down for the surgery.

I stared researching the surgery, blogs, YouTube, OH, any info I could get my hands on. Now I'm even more terrified than before!  I thought I could go back to work in a week, but all I see is at least 2 weeks.  I think that would make me CrAzY.  I'm one of those that checks my email even on my "off" days.  I know it is going to sound stupid but the surgery and the day or two post op scare me more than anything!  Catheter and drain?  Those words are in my top 10 of scary surgery words. I remember the gas pain from the Lapland, and the liquid meals, but I didn't have either catheter or drain.

Can someone give me some real life experience stories? 

Thank you~

Hislady
on 2/15/14 9:01 am - Vancouver, WA

Try the sleeve forum there are literally hundreds if not more who have revised. I'm getting my band out Mon. and am thrilled! The only thing that scares me is that I have bad lungs and a clotting issue but as far as getting rid of the band I'm thrilled to pieces! Also try the search engine and look up revisions to sleeve and you will find old posts on the subject. Good luck to you!

Lilrebel
on 2/27/14 1:22 pm

What are you revising to? I am starting with my testing Monday for my revision. The band has to come out and they are wanting me to revise to a RNY due to some damage from a previous slip. Monday will be a great dy for both of us.

lilrebe. AKA Rebecca

pineview01
on 2/28/14 9:36 am - Davison, MI

Does your surgeon do the sleeve?  If you have damage from a previous slip, my surgeon would just take the band out and let you heal first as recommended by the ASMBS.  Some times the damage is so bad all they can do is a RNY but, most times the sleeve can be done after a 2 month to 1 year wait with most between 2-6 months.

Some surgeons are just comfortable doing the RNY.  Make sure this isn't the case.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

VonaVSG
on 2/19/14 11:47 am

let me know the outcome. i have a similar situation.

DrAceves
on 2/20/14 8:27 am - Mexico

We   have converted many lap bands to sleeves and continue to do so every week. Patients are very happy with the revision and I do not think there has ever been  single person that  misses their band or prefers the band over the sleeve.  

Your dr might not need to leave a catheter at all, ask him if you can do without one, most doctors doing sleeves do not  place one.   A drain is very important but  it is mostly a bit uncomfortable, not painful.  The important thing to try to focus on is that you will be getting a very good permanent weight loss tool.

You may go back to work sooner if you are feeling up to it and you have a desk job  or a not too strenuous job. 

Good luck on your new journey. 

Dr. Alberto Aceves

http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-alberto-aceves/

pineview01
on 2/21/14 8:27 am - Davison, MI

The camera shoved down the throat was easy peasy!  It is just that you do need some one to drive you.  My DH said I was only in the room for a few minutes.  I could have sworn I was never out except I didn't remember a tube down my throat.

I had my band out and than waited for the stomach to heal before getting sleeved.  With just the sleeve I could have done and desk job after 1 week. I wouldn't have been able to do the same after the band removal for a couple weeks.  Having it all done as one is harder and takes longer to recover being reported here.

I did end up with a catheter and drains.  The catheter was horrible but than I found it was kinked.  I just had to have one after PS and it didn't bother me but it was pulled before I had to walk.  The drains were a pain but doable and most people get them out before leaving the hospital.  I had to have them in for 2 weeks after surgery as I am a bleeder and they put out longer for me.

All that said, this is the BEST thing I have done for me in my life time.  I truly love the sleeve and wish I hadn't had to go thru the band first.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

SpideyMom
on 2/23/14 7:06 am

I was revised from LB to VSG on 1/2, and had it done in one surgery. I didn't have a drain or catheter, and I was back to work in 10 days. :)

Try not to worry. You'll be glad when you make the switch!

Ann

LapBand surgery May 2009; revision to VSG Jan. 2, 2014

starsinmyeyes
on 2/24/14 4:09 am

I will be having the same thing done April 10th....band to sleeve revision. I am happy and nervous too....please post your progress would love to hear how you are doing.

SlimDe
on 2/27/14 11:12 am

I'll have more after Monday.  I'm not sure on the sleeve though. I was concerned on having to do something again after the sleeve. Gastric bypass has been around for the longest.

Most Active