Considering revision-lapband to RNY

lori65
on 2/17/14 1:33 am

I am right there with you!  Had LapBand  6/2007.  Lost 43 lbs. and that is all.  Now gained it all back.  I have a new insurance policy now and am so hoping to get RNY!!!  Keep up updated.  Good luck to you.

Lilrebel
on 3/19/14 2:06 pm

Good luck. I am waiting for my approval also.

rebecca

MsRadar65
on 2/17/14 6:18 am - Charleston, SC
DS on 05/18/22

I was banded in 2004 until 2008.  Did well with my band until it slipped.  I had sleeved done 12.31.13. I love my sleeve.  If you did well with band, then I would look at sleeve.  There are a lot of people who have done revisions from band to sleeve that do well with restriction only.

Sherrie P.
on 2/18/14 11:23 am
RNY on 02/06/13

MsRadar hit the nail on the head ... IF you were successful with the band (I was not) then I think the sleeve is an EXCELLENT choice.  I loved the idea of keeping the pyloric valve and not having vitamin malabsorption.  However, for me - the band sucked. I was terrified the sleeve would be the band without the band.

So, that being said - I would have totally gone with the DS - however, you had to have a BMI over 50 to qualify for insurance coverage with my policy and mine was like 41.

In the end I went for RNY.  BEST DECISION EVER!!  (waves from goal weight ---first time ever!!!)

Good luck to you.

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

pineview01
on 3/13/14 4:15 am - Davison, MI

Just a FYI, I had years of problems with the band and had the same worries.  I did go with the sleeve and am here to tell you, nothing like that nasty band.   Congratulations on your success!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

rebakemp72
on 3/13/14 2:07 am - Mechanicville, NY
RNY on 02/24/14

Best of luck with the insurance !  I as well as many previous posts had the band w/ band complications.  Had the band put in 2007 & removed 12/2/2013 - the best decision of my life to get it removed, but I had to fight w/ my insurance for 1 year to get it removed.  I had RNY on 2/24/14 - although I'm new to this life style, i don't regret it.  The torture of the band is something I hope the medical field soon realizes and they remove it from the market.

Please review all of your options and what is going to be best for your lifestyle.  Remember... you have everyone here at O.H !!

Best of luck!

Rebecca

pineview01
on 3/13/14 4:12 am - Davison, MI

I didn't have to fight to get the band out, I had 2.5 years of documented problems.  I did have to fight to get the sleeve.  The scope didn't show all the damage but when they took the band out and took a photo to go with the surgery notes, they agreed to let me get the sleeve even with a 1 in a life time policy.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active