Considering revision-lapband to RNY

TinMarWea
on 2/2/14 1:06 pm

Had Lapband in late 2007. Did great until band slip in Feb 2009. Had lost about 85lbs. Had band replaced, but was afraid to use. When I finally went back for fill, port was flipped. Have slowly gained all weight back. Original surgeon is no longer in the state and one *****placed him will not do revisions.  I am thinking about having RNY. Will have to pay for out of pocket as well. I have an appointment Thursday with a surgeon who has an excellent reputation. Just wondering is it worth it. Do band to RNY folks do well? Would like to hear from folks who have gone thru it.  Any advise would be appreciated.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 2/2/14 3:03 pm

I would suggest you look at the other surgeries too - vsg(aka sleeve) and the DS. Personally, I would only get the sleeve if I wanted restriction only, and DS if I wanted restriction with malabsorption. There are numerous reason I'd pick either of those over RNY, but you should read about them and decide what works for you. 

Did the band work fine for you till it slipped? Then the sleeve may be enough for you, as both of those simply restrict how much you could eat.

I had metabolic issues and needed the help of malabsorption, but felt RNY had some drawbacks I wasn't willing to deal with (chance of dumping, reactive hypoglycemia, regain, and inability to EVER take NSAIDs again, and less resolution of co-morbs). I knew I'd have to commit to taking quite a few vitamins for the rest of my life with RNY or DS, and I was OK with that. 

TinMarWea
on 2/4/14 10:49 am

Thanks for the advice.

pineview01
on 2/4/14 8:00 am - Davison, MI

I am a band to sleeve.  If you did well with the band, I would also suggest you look into the sleeve.  I just found out today another hospital in our area is finding the band not a good choice and turning to the sleeve instead.

The RNY is good for those that didn't do well with restriction only.  The RNY comes the its' own set of nutritional problems.  Also if down the road if things change for you (like menopause for me) you can get the switch part of the DS as you already have the VSG.

I sure am glad that port is gone, nothing but pain.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

TinMarWea
on 2/4/14 10:50 am

Thanks for your reply. I have appt on Thursday with Surgeon.

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/5/14 3:58 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

I had a Band placed in 2006 and did well for the first three years or so and then slowly over the next 4 years gained back to my pre-op weight....  Acid reflux, erosion, ulcers and port flipping ended my relationship with the Band and I am almost 6 months out from a revision to RNY that has been miraculous for me. Living with the gastric bypass is a whole other world away from Banded life for me.  I can't recommend it enough as a great alternative if it suits you (ie; need more than restriction, suffer from acid reflux etc).  I am happy to share my experience if you are interested.  There are a lot of us out there who are very happy with our choice.  I hope you have a positive experience with your new surgon and together you can make the best decision for your health and future!  Good luck - Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Andresky73
on 2/10/14 1:53 pm - Redlands, CA

Thank you for sharing, I thinking to get the band removed and go to Bypas but I'm afraid of side effects, my dr just send for approval to insurance I hope it gets approve 

Lilrebel
on 2/17/14 2:31 pm

Thank you for posting. I was told last week that the band has to come out. Did well the first 5 years but then had a bad slip along other complications and now it is damaging my insides. Waiting for insurance approval for surgery and have a EGD scheduled to see how much damage I have. Scared and excited. 

Ashley in Belgium
on 2/17/14 3:44 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Let us know how it turns out...  For your ski I hope the damage isn't so significant that a revision isn't an option.  I continue to be so happy with my revision choice and that isn't due entirely to my dramatic weight loss -though that is a HUGE bonus   - but my quality of life in terms of eating, swallowing, functioning as a normal person is so dramatically improved that I can't imagine now how I could have lived so long with the Band before demanding it come out.  

Good luck with all your tests - keep us posted!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

Lilrebel
on 3/19/14 2:05 pm

Thank you so much for the positive response. I am headed towards a RNY after being banded in 2004. It did work for a while but with all the complications and damage now it has to be removed. I hear so much about the sleeve but that is not an option for me for medical reasons. I was starting to worry there were not any others like me around anymore that have the RNY revision. I am grateful to hear the positives.

Rebecca

Most Active