gaining weight right after surgery

Linda K.
on 1/26/14 9:09 am - Omaha, NE

Hi everyone,

Has anyone gained weight after surgery?  I had revision surgery on January 14th.  At that time, I weighed 321.  While in the hospital my weight went to 345!  I got home friday and weighed 320.  Saturday I weighed 314.  Today I am weighing 324!!  I see my surgeon tomorrow so he may be able to tell me what may be happening.  Did anyone have this happen to them?  Thank you for any info.  

Hislady
on 1/26/14 10:20 am - Vancouver, WA

Most anytime you are in the hospital they pump you full of fluids and it sounds like you are retaining them. Do check with your surgeon tomorrow he will have a better idea what's going on.

Jody B.
on 1/27/14 3:06 am - Corsicana, TX

Linda, what type of revision did you have?

Linda K.
on 1/28/14 11:40 am - Omaha, NE

I went from a vbg to rny.  I actually underwent the surgery not just for revision but because my old surgery caused severe problems i.e. vomiting, unable to eat any solid foods, severe acid reflux and severe stomach pain caused by staple line distruption..  This surgery has been a godsend.  I still am on clear liquids and on a j tube(I am on tube feeding)as i have a leak that will hopefully repair itself.  Hopefully the water weight will come off soon.

pineview01
on 1/29/14 6:42 am - Davison, MI

Good luck with that leak healing Linda.  Hopefully you will be well and on the road to a safe and healthy weight lose journey.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Karen M.
on 1/28/14 4:50 am

I am experience the same thing I have weighed on 3 different scale and I get all different reading . I'm so disappointed I have spoke to the Dr.Nurse who suggest not eating any white food such as bread or white rice no sugar and have an exercise plan .

Hopes this help 

pineview01
on 1/28/14 10:54 am - Davison, MI

I too gained a lot in the hospital from the IV fluid.  Than over the next little while I lost that too like you.  I lost and than at 3 weeks had a gain.  I found I lost a few pounds fast gained most back and than over a slower time wound back down, drop fast, gain and lose it slowly again.  This was my losing pattern with my revision.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active