lapband to RNY in one Surgery?

BrandNewMe2014
on 1/15/14 10:33 am

Anyone? I know there are other posts buried on this board about  this topic but they date back to September and October and no one is posting on them now

Hislady
on 1/16/14 4:20 am - Vancouver, WA

Well it CAN be done but it is usually decided on an individual basis depending on how much damage the band has done to the stomach and scar tissue in the surrounding areas. As a rule the band has caused quite a bit of damage so many surgeons want to clean up that mess first then go back in anywhere from 6 weeks to 6 mos. later to do the revision surgery. A few may go ahead and revise at the time of band removal but from what I've read here and on some other sites most are waiting in between.

JennLyric
on 1/17/14 9:57 pm

I had my band removed and the RNY done in one surgery.  It took under 3 hours and I did beautifully.  I had had the band for 9 years and, needless to say, was unsuccessful with it but didn't have any structural damage.  Since surgery (6/12) I've lost close to 100 lbs.  I have approximately 40 left to lose and I'm losing at snail's pace.  However, my blood levels are perfect and, at least right now, have no complications from surgery.  Inconveniences, yes...but that's part of WLS.

I hope that helps to balance out what you may or may not hear.  Obviously everyone is different, but that's my story.

Good luck and good health.

Jennifer

jondakay
on 1/20/14 3:46 am

I had a switch from band to RNY all in same day. I had my band for 7 years and lots of trouble; mainly reflux and aspiration pneumonia. Once I had enough, I had all the fluid from the band removed and waited about 5 months and then I was able to do both. But as others have said, a lot of time they like to wait. If any damage they want to wait/repair and then go back in.  I didn't know until I woke up if I was going to be able to have both at the same time. 

Hope that helps

kbinaz
on 1/20/14 11:55 am

I had band to RNY revision November 4,2013 - all in one surgery. My surgeon does A LOT of revisions, but won't do band to sleeve in one surgery, only RNY. Everything went great. 

Shymtflower
on 1/28/14 8:26 am

I had gallbladder removed, band removed and vertical sleeve done all at once.  just last week. doing good now.

Shyann

Believe laughIm'possible

pineview01
on 1/28/14 10:43 am - Davison, MI

Some will do band to what ever in one.  Some will only do the band to RNY in one.  Some, as advised by the ASMBS, will make you wait 2 to 6 months or more in between for the stomach to heal first before doing any revision.  The reason some will do the RNY and not the sleeve, is the damage from the band is usually where they are cutting for the pouch.  But, if there is anything at all off when they get in there, a good surgeon will remove the band and stop at that point anyway.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active