Revision ??

ItalianHeat
on 1/15/14 7:57 am, edited 1/15/14 8:17 am

Hello, I recently went for an upper GI for them to take a look at my stomach/pouch. I am looking into having a revision done. I had RNY surgery back in 09" and was going to ask the new surgeon if he could perform DS on me. The tech who did my upper GI said since I already had RNY that the surgeon would not be able to perform DS on me. Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks!

shel2
on 1/15/14 12:27 pm

Not true

shel2
on 1/15/14 12:30 pm

I had open rny and am scheduled for  Feb 4th for ds. 

shel2
on 1/15/14 8:49 pm

I should also tell you that during the open rny they nicked my bowel and didnt know it so three days later, they reopened me and did bowel repair.  (back then they didnt do liquid diet to shrink liver and intrabdominal fat)  I also had double hernia surgery with mesh and a paniculectomy to remove excess skin from lower stomach.  So unsure why the tech said that, but follow up and discuss with your surgeon.  If he/she isnt experienced with this type of revision, search around.  good luck

Hislady
on 1/16/14 4:16 am - Vancouver, WA

I'm sure I've read on here that they do that quite often. You just want to make sure you have a surgeon that is very experienced in that revision because it is more difficult to do. Ask on the DS forum they will know!

clpeltz
on 1/16/14 8:22 am

Yes, it can be done, but you need to have a very experienced surgeon.  Not just any DS surgeon can do a TRUE RNY to DS revision.  In a true revision, the pouch is reconnected to the remnant stomach and then the sleeve is made.  Then the surgeon needs to adjust the intestinal part.  There is a very small list of surgeons that have great experience to do this.  Choose wisely because this is your life.

RNY to DS Revision 4/29/2011
Dr. Henry Buchwald

"Think twice.....Cut ONCE"

dotofoz01
on 1/17/14 6:17 am

Hi....new to this forum. Had endoscopy today, lap band slippage confirmed. Doc did not see anything else. hopefully will be going VGS soon. have VERBAL insurance approval. thanks for listening

traceydj
on 1/28/14 11:17 pm

Great News dotofoz01.  I hope to have the same good new soon as well.

pineview01
on 1/29/14 6:48 am - Davison, MI

Yeah!broken heart

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

airbender
on 1/27/14 11:27 am

so they xray tech told  you that you could not go from rny to ds?  well think of your information source, and many drs don't know the answer anyway.  ahhh ignorance is bliss.  So the answer is NO that is not true, and yes you can go from a RNY to DS, but there are only a few, maybe 5 in the US surgeons that can do that, and my surgeon is one of them.....be very very careful who you get to revise from RNY to DS, like I said get a vetted surgeon, not sure where you live but post that and can give you info.... i had to fly for my revision.....

Most Active