9months after lap band was removed

onmyway06062011
on 1/8/14 3:17 am - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

Hi I'll try to make this as short as possible. I had lap band surgery in June 2011. In October 2011 I had a bad slip that required surgery right away to fix. Two months after that I began having problems again.(and my surgeon and the radiologist couldn't decide if my band had slipped or not.) i lived with it for a few more months  until I became extremely dehydrated and I chose to have my lap band taken out. So in March 2013 I had my lap band taken out. At the time of surgery my surgeon wanted to convert to a vertical sleeve gastrectomy but I was so afraid because I was so sick I didn't want to have it. Since that time I gained over 60 pounds back my BMI is back up to 43. My PCP wants me to have a vertical sleeve gastrectomy as I've had to be put onto two blood-pressure medications and after a lot of research I decided I would like to have the vertical sleeve gastrectomy . I guess my question is this. I don't think my insurance company will give me a hard time I have Medicare but has anybody else ever had this happen where they didn't want to do revision surgery when they had their band out and then decided to have it months later? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have an appointment in one month for my surgeon. Thank you for listening. I am going to post this on the vsg board also

pineview01
on 1/8/14 5:31 am - Davison, MI

With your history I would have recommend you had weight to get the sleeve.  My surgeon makes you wait 4-6 months and the one I was suppose to have required a 2 month wait minimum. 

You should now be in great shape to get your sleeve.  You will be at the lowest risk of complications.  They will also be able to "fix" the rest of the damage caused from the band.

Also I am 50 lower than I was with the band just a FYI.

You will find many on the VSG boards that did it months apart.

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

onmyway06062011
on 1/8/14 11:11 pm - FL
VSG on 03/10/14

Thank you pineview01 i'm glad I waited too I think I'm in a much better place emotionally and physically to have the surgery done I hope my surgeon agrees I'll keep you posted thanks for your reply

pineview01
on 1/10/14 2:51 pm - Davison, MI

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active