I recently had revision surgery, and have questions,

OliverandCompany
on 11/26/13 9:38 am

I had RNY surgery in 2006 and lost 144pouns but gained half back and last week I had a revision. My Doctor just called in limb lengthening and I never thought to ask for a name but after surgery he told me he removed a large amount of intestines and now I was going to have problems digesting foods and malabsorbtion with vitamins. When I left the hospital I was given a paper of vitamins the recommend for DS patients and I dont go see the doctor again until 12/6 to ask him. Does anyone know if limb legnthening is the same as a DS? During surgery they placed an epidural and it is the best thing ever, I was pain free while in the hospital but they removed it the day I went home and I would not recommend they remove it the day you leave as the pain was severe but I made it thoughthe pain and today I am better. I  and am on liquids until 12/6 when I see him next. 

Ladytazz
on 11/26/13 10:18 am

It sounds like you have an ERNY, Or an extended RNY. Basically you have more malabsorption  so you won't absorb all the food you eat especially fat and protein. Did they do anything to your pouch? Make it smaller or tighten the stoma?  You don't have a DS as with the DS you would have a sleeve and not a pouch. It's too bad you weren't able to be more educated about what you were having done so you could have made an educated decision about whether you want to go through this.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

OliverandCompany
on 11/26/13 11:25 am

He did not touch my pouch, said he did not want to restrict it any further than it was and he removed the amount of intestines because I have chronic constipation problems. I was educated but had 100% trust in my doctor and never asked for a name at all, He just called it limb lengthening. I will ask him in our next visit. Thanks for replying to me wink

AngelicMythology
on 12/6/13 11:06 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I had more intestines bypassed too back in January while leaving my pouch alone. I'm almost at goal. I'm working on the last 10 lbs. Since my revision, I've lost 76 lbs. Weight loss is slow, but at least it's coming off. 

Call your doctor's office up and ask. Regardless of the procedure, knowledge is power. 

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

OliverandCompany
on 12/7/13 12:20 pm

Glad to hear you are almost at goal. I am down 16 pounds since my surgery. I did go to the doctor and asked what the name of my surgery was (I only thought it had something to do with a DS because of the paperwork he gave me for my follow up. I did however find out he did a Revision RNY with distal limb lengthening. They gave me the paperwork for a DS because I will not be able to absorb vitamins as I did before! Do you take bariatric advantage vitamins and if so where do you find them?

Karen M.
on 12/7/13 4:01 am

Hi I had my revision yesterday I had my pouch re tighten and some of my intestine remove and my doctor also took out a large portion of that  first stomach . I'm feeling okay today just took my swallow test to make sure there was no leak ..I'm on ice chips now.

OliverandCompany
on 12/7/13 12:22 pm

Glad things are going well for you. I am two and a half weeks out and still recovering. Seems to have taken a load of energy out of me. Heal quickly and be patient! :)

MsBatt
on 12/8/13 4:30 am

I highly doubt he actually REMOVED any of your small intestine. What it sounds like he did was bypass more of your small intestine, SHORTENING your common channel. The common channel is the section of small intestine below the 'Y', where normal digestion takes place.

I imagine the reason you were given DS paperwork is because you'll now need to supplement vitamins and minerals like a DSer would. I suggest you visit Vitalady's website and read her DSer vitamin schedule. She really know her stuff. She and her husband are both close to 20 years post-op from extended RNYs.

Most Active