How many of you have revised your sleeve to another surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 10/29/13 5:19 am - Wiesbaden, Germany
DS on 10/08/13

I did but it was considered exploratory cancer surgery, not bariatric surgery.  Less than a year after my band to sleeve revision with Dr. K, I developed a gastric tumor.  Often, with the tumor removal/resleeving, it's necessary to reroute the digestive system.  Because the RnY usually has a window of malabsorption of 12 - 18 months, it's the gold standard for cancer patients because it mitigates risk (of malnutrition, especially if the patient isn't compliant).  I didn't want a RnY so I arranged to have the DS.

As it turned out, my tumor was benign.  Primarily because it was fairly recent.  Gastric tumors tend to be malignant more than 98% of the time because the patient usually is asymptomati****il it hits late stage 3 or even stage 4.

By the way, the reason I went to Profession Dr. Weiner was because Dr. Keshishian referred me to him when I was moving to Germany if something went wrong with my sleeve.  The tumor (and a hiatal hernia from the band) caused my sleeve to become misshapen and stretched.  It was not a surgical error, it just happened.  I'm just VERY lucky to have said THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/17/13 3:43 am, edited 11/17/13 3:55 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I had a LB in 2008 only lost 4 lbs.  In 2009 had the VSG lost about 17 lbs. and suffered with a hiatal hernia which caused major acid reflux.  I am waiting for my insurance company to approve me for getting the RNY.  I was told there was a study done on patients who had a VSG, those who had this surgery and did not have a craving for sweets before the surgery developed a sweet tooth after the surgery and gained back there weight.  That's me!  Anyway this will be my third surgery, if BCBS OK Federal Employees approve me.  Best wishes to you!!!

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

sunshine1968
on 11/17/13 9:51 am

HI, thank you for replying. Can I ask you why you are getting the RNY and not the duodenal switch?  You have the sleeve already, which is a part of the duodenal switch-not the RNY. I'm asking because I noticed that physicians that don't perform the Duodenal switch often don't tell their patients about this particular surgery and the results are pretty fantastic. It might be worth seeking out a VETTED duodenal switch surgeon and just getting an opinion. Since this is your third surgery I would love for you to find success. It might be worth it to speak to folks on the Duodenal switch forum as well as they might be able to give you some input. Good luck with your surgery.

Virgie Tschirhart
on 11/18/13 1:33 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

No problem, just about everyone asks me that question.  BCBS of Oklahoma Federal Employees Program will not approve me unless I have a BMI of 50 and I'm considered a light weight.  According to my surgeon that is a hard core surgery the DS.  No he does not do it, that's true.  If I really wanted it, I would have to pay cash, just don't have that kind of cash lying around, I did once call a DS Surgeon Dr, Stewart in Texas and the price for that is $27,000.00 just the second part of the DS, since I already have the Sleeve.  I believe the RNY will suffice.  I have to be positive about this.  Thanks for your concern. 

Babygirlinokc 

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

sunshine1968
on 11/23/13 8:34 am, edited 11/24/13 1:45 pm

If you don't mind my asking, what size was your original sleeve?  I wish you all the best with the RNY. I can certainly understand the reasoning behind your choice. YIKES! That's a lot of money.

Most Active