in my 5th week post op and not sure if this is normal

sabrinasjourney
on 10/15/13 12:30 am

Hello everyone. So for my providers office, this is soft food stage... however I am not able to eat anything right now. Sometimes I can get a little thin oatmeal down but not much else other than liquids. Is that normal? I go to the bariatric center tomorrow but wanted to get some advise from you all. My surgery was Sept 16th. I am having moments of regret for having my revision from band to RNY... I hated the band and it never worked for me but these past 5 weeks have not been great, I can't tolerate protein shakes at all! water taste bad but I flavor it and drink all my liquids but not my proteins. I just can't force the protein because one sip gags me. I am so wanting to make this work for me.... am I just being impatient? any and all help would be so greatly appreciated.

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/15/13 3:52 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Sorry you are having a hard time....  tomorrow will be here soon enough and hopefully your Doctor's office can help you a bit.  I've got to ask - what have you been eating up til now?  Is it recently you can't eat (and is it really can't as in it doesn't go down, or don't want to cause it makes you feel nauseous or doesn't appeal?) For me can't eat = you need help from your Dr. - won't eat = you need to find a new repertoire of things to try.  You must be feeling a bit weak and listless if you aren't getting in anything besides water. 

By week 5 I was on solid foods so I can't imagine how bored you must be with the same old gruel.  In the soft stage I ate Fage Greek yogurt which I fancied up with Lipton Onion soup powder for salty fix, or I added protein powder, or fresh herbs and spices, or pesto.  Ricotta cheese with Passata got me through lots of dinners, hearty soups like lentil, split pea etc.  I blended up chicken curries and chili was a lifesaver too.  

I hope you can get over this hump and enjoy your new Bandless life.  Try to be positive and patient.  It will get better - enlightened

Ashley

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

sabrinasjourney
on 10/15/13 4:51 am

Thanks Ashley, I have tried different soft foods but they sit like a rock and end up coming up. Sometimes the oatmeal stays down and that has protein in it. I have been having peanut butter off a spoon which sits ok and has protein. I tried Ricotta cheese with sauce and that did not sit good at all. I have even tried mashed potatoes in desperation to have food but those don't do good either. so I guess most days consist of flavored water and tea, I do try to eat, I have tried yogurts, puddings, deli meats, beans and none of it will stay down.

Ashley in Belgium
on 10/15/13 6:00 am - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Yikes - if nothing stays down then definitely see you Doctor, especially if this is a new problem....  Soups?  Plain old chicken broth?  Very frustrating I am sure.  I hope it can be resolved quickly!  

Good luck and Hang in there!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

motomama
on 10/16/13 12:35 pm - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

I so understand what you are feeling!  How was your appointment today?  My revision from Lapband to RNY was on 9/6 and I am having the same problems.  I have had two dilations (they do and EGD an the use a balloon to stretch the opening at either the entrance of your stomach or the exit) since my surgery and I think I am probably going to have to go back for a 3rd. Are clear liquids staying down ok?  Good luck, and keep us posted.  

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

sabrinasjourney
on 10/16/13 8:42 pm

They scheduled me for dilation today, fingers crossed that it works once..the nurse said that for some people they have to have it a few times.  I am feeling very drained today, yesterday was not a good day for getting liquids in so I am going to have to drink as much as I can before the cutoff time for the procedure...Thank goodness liquids stay down however they go down hard. I am praying for a good outcome. Motomama, we are only a week apart in our surgeries. It is nice to chat with someone close to my date... Thanks

motomama
on 10/17/13 4:11 am - TX
RNY on 09/06/13

keep in touch and let me know how things are going.  I am keeping down liquids but it's hard.  I probably need to go to the Doc, have a call into his office to see if I can talk to him about how I'm feeling.  I keep hoping I just swollen...but I suspect he'll have to go back in next week.  I just have too much to do today and tomorrow. 

I am a 42 year old mother of 3 who is 5 feet tall and trying to beat the odds of my inherited medical history.  Taking things one day at a time.  Banded in 2008, revised to RNY 2013

sabrinasjourney
on 10/17/13 11:12 pm

Well I had my endoscopy yesterday afternoon... not a great experience. I woke up in the  middle of it feeling like I was choking and trying to get the tube out. I did have stricture so my surgeon put the balloon in to dilate me. I hope that this is the only time I have to go through that... very sore throat this morning.

Most Active